Idle Mixture setting 6hp Johnson 1972

pacman77

Recruit
My one is set at 3 turns and runs a bit rough does any one know factory setting??
this is the small lever you can turn in front of engine, I assume it is idle mixture?

Willyclay

Captain
Re: Idle Mixture setting 6hp Johnson 1972

Welcome to the iboats.com forum. The experts here, which I am not, can help you with any boat, motor and trailer question. I have the 1973 flavor of your motor and can help a little. There is no standard setting for the low speed fuel mixture adjustment. It has to be determined with the motor under load which is usually mounted on a boat. Test propellers are hard to come by. The starting point is usually 1.5 to 2.0 turns from closed or all the way in. Close it gently so as not to damage the tip of the needle. Recommend you read "How to Adjust the Carbs" in Tashasdaddy's sticky thread titled "Top Secret File" near the top of this J&E forum. The link below will get you started. Good luck with that great little motor!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167352

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Idle Mixture setting 6hp Johnson 1972

It only has an idle mixture adjustment. You'll find the initial setting and the procedure for adjusting it in the link above .
No test wheel needed