2001 40hp four stroke evinrude efi over heat problem

NoHo ART

Cadet
i have a 01 40hp evinrude efi with around 300 hr's on it.
it starts and runs fine as long as i keep the rpm's under 3700
if i pass 3700 within 30sec the over heat alarm gos of and the motor shuts down to idle ... as soon as i turn the motor off and back on everything is back to normal.
i had my impeller changed and the whole cooling system acid washed by my mechanic.. it did not help... had him check my sensors and thermostat and they checked out ok.... :confused: now im not sure what to look for next and my mechanic keeps trying to find the problem at $90 pare hour and for the passed $600 out of my pocket the problem is still there.
any hope is highly appreciated

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2001 40hp four stroke evinrude efi over heat problem

How did the old impeller look ?? You may have a piece of the old one blocking the system somewhere. May need to backwash it. Did you get the impeller changed because of this issue or for routine maintenance ??

NoHo ART

Cadet

i got the impeller changed because of this issue.. it was in ok condition but since my mechanic had it open i had him change it... he back washed it and acid washed it since the previous owner used it in salt water.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

How was the water pump housing ??? had it rotated at all ???

NoHo ART

Cadet

that was changed also when the impeller was changed

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I still think there is a lump of impeller floating around in there and restricting the flow. Are you certain the thermostat is good ???

NoHo ART

Cadet

according to my mechanic the thermostat and sensors are good and there is nothing blocking the water flow and it only happens when i hit 3700+ rpms
and he says when he hooks the computer to it it just tells him it overheated this many times but wont tell him what the reason for that was

lowe160

Seaman Apprentice

I had that problem with my 2002 50-4 stroke, I think it was sucking air in the water pick up above the prop. If you look there is a vent by just in front of the trim tab. There is a plate available to block this and that cured my problem, the dealer couldn't help but I read this in the owners manual.

Might be worth a try.

Wayne

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

On that motor there is a pressure relief water valve assembly underneath the powerhead and it can get corroded or wedged with debris. The valve is not that expensive but you have to pull the powerhead to change or clean it.

If your mechanic is trained in that motor, he should know that.

The Suzuki pump is marginal and very sensitive to wear, it's best to change the water plate and cup along with the impeller for best results. Use the factory pump kit.

NoHo ART

Cadet

cool thanks im going to print this and had it off to my mechanic when i take my boat in again

twogone

Cadet

cool thanks im going to print this and had it off to my mechanic when i take my boat in again

I know this is an old thread but I purchased the same moter last year on a 16' Harbercraft and have a similar problem. The sensor seems to go off randomly any time I'm running over about 4000 rpm. On a 1 hour run sometimes it will shut the motor down 3 or 4 times and on another trip only once. The motor IS NOT HOT but the sensor seems to think it is. Turn off the key and start 'er up again and away she goes for another 2 minutes or 40 minutes. Surley if the motor was actually hot, the sensor would shut it down again pretty quickley??? Any comments and/or advice would be extreemly welcome. My (very expensive) mechanic hasn't been able to find the problem. Has Evenrude acknowledged the problem and do they have a 'fix'. If not I sure won't buy another one. When that beeper goes off it scares the hell out of my wife & she thinks we are going to crash, burn, sink & drown. She's a great fishing partner but she won't come with me unless I fix the problem (on a limited budget). Thanks for your help; twogone

Last edited:

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Please read the rules at the top of the forum and start a new one. Thank you.