cross threaded oil plug

midshipman

Cadet
HI,
I did a real dumb thing when winterizing my 2000 Evinrude Modle E25EL4SI out board motor. I cross threaded the steel oil plug into the ALUM case of my motor. :eek::eek::eek: The plug is in there tight, and I do not want to touch it. Can I remove the oil next year, out of the dipstick tube using a siphon syringe. :confused::confused::confused:

Many thx.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: cross threaded oil plug

Well, I would check for leaks. You probably should remove the plug and put a heli-coil in it, so the plug will seat properly.:cool:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

So how bad is the cross thread ??? Shavings coming out with it ??
In reality it needs attention. Hard to give advice without seeing it, photos or a more in depth explanation.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

For some engines, you can use an oil extraction device and get all the oil out. Your owners manual should tell you whether you can or not. If no one on this site knows for sure, your local dealer can tell you because I am sure that is how they would do an oil change if it was acceptable. Oil extractors are the easiest and environmentally cleanest ways of doing an oil change.

Another way is to try extracting and see how much you get out. If you get the exact same capacity that went in, then you know it works. Be sure to subtract for the filter. Of course you better check for leaks from the oil plug. But I doubt you will have leaks based upon our description.