1988 Johnson 88 Powerhead Rebuild Questions

trippleclick

Recruit
Hi Folks,
I just registered for this forum and have a few questions concerning the topic of this post. I bought this motor new 21 years ago and have performed all of the maintenance on it. I can't guess the hours on it. The hour meter quit at 1500. It's simply worn out. The latest compression check revealed 127,118 on the port side and 20,110 on the stbd side. I pulled the stbd head and there is significant scoring on the low cylinder and some scoring on the other stbd cylinder. I haven?t opened the other side yet but expect to find minor scoring in both of those cylinders too. I'd like to take it to a good machine shop to do the boring and honing and tell me what size pistons and rings I need. My questions:

1. Does anyone know a reputable machine shop in the Mt. Pleasant (Charleston) SC area that I can have do the work on the block and tell me what I need in the way of pistons and rings?

2. Where is the best place to order/purchase the parts for the rebuild?

3. I need torque specs, etc for the rebuild. I don't need instructions on taking it apart or putting it back together. Are specs available on the internet?

Thanks in advance.

reeldutch

Lieutenant
Re: 1988 Johnson 88 Powerhead Rebuild Questions

first i would suggest to buy a manual.
second i would find out why that piston/cylinder failed.
dirty carb?
also i would suggest because you have so many hours on the motor to put all new bearings and seals in it.
make it like new and it will tast you another 20 years.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

fortunaty for you,you took good care of it,its then worth rebuilding since you will save on the labor,sorry I cant help with the machine shop,but you are best to use someone with outboard experience,your engine ,if I recall correct can bre bored up to 60 thousands over they make 20 30 I think 44 and 60,that was 15 yrs ago.You can probably buy all parts thru this site at the marine store,as for the torque specs,if you dont get answers by tomorrow I'll get them from my manuel.You might think about buying one used from ebay just to have in your shop,head bolts are 240 inch lbs and the rod bolts 360,will double check ,rebuild the carbs too,its possible that you leaned out,but could be a ring retainer ,piston skirt,but it will likely be evident at disassembly

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

It most likely has broken rings. Probably from coking which is a black sticky carbon like substance. Basically a by-product of todays fuel and lugging the motor.

As for the machine shop, contact Kurt at Mar-Fab in Tennessee. First class guy, first class operation. Tell him I said hello.

trippleclick

Recruit

Thanks for the replys. I'll have the powerhead on the bench by this afternoon and will know more after I pull it apart. I'll likely have more questions. This is my first outboard rebuild and since this motor has become a spare this one is just for fun.