fuel hose assembly

KwickLabs

Cadet
The gas tank and fuel line assembly for my 1965 Johnson 9.5 HP outboard is giving me trouble. It is sucking air....sometimes at the worst time. So far I haven't been stranded anywhere, but I want to eliminate the possibility. The tank and fuel line are different ages (kind of mismatched and old).

Therefore, I bought a new tank plus a 10 ft primber bulb and fuel line assembly. The six gal tank needs to be in the front of my Carsten Bluebill (duck boat). The primer bulb as it is now attached will often be underneath many decoys and other gear....near the front of the boat.

My 1st question is.......Can I turn the assembly line around after taking off, reversing and re-attaching the primer bulb? This would place the primer bulb back by the motor and make it much easy to use. The 2nd question is....Will having the bulb farther from the gas tank create any issues?

Thanks in advance for your help, Jim B.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel hose assembly

The gas tank and fuel line assembly for my 1965 Johnson 9.5 HP outboard is giving me trouble. It is sucking air....sometimes at the worst time. So far I haven't been stranded anywhere, but I want to eliminate the possibility. The tank and fuel line are different ages (kind of mismatched and old).

Therefore, I bought a new tank plus a 10 ft primber bulb and fuel line assembly. The six gal tank needs to be in the front of my Carsten Bluebill (duck boat). The primer bulb as it is now attached will often be underneath many decoys and other gear....near the front of the boat.

My 1st question is.......Can I turn the assembly line around after taking off, reversing and re-attaching the primer bulb? This would place the primer bulb back by the motor and make it much easy to use. The 2nd question is....Will having the bulb farther from the gas tank create any issues?

Thanks in advance for your help, Jim B.

1. Sure, as long as the gas flows through the bulb in the right direction.

2. It might cause a need to squeeze it a whole bunch of times if it is empty (full of air). Once you get the air pumped out, it will be fine.

KwickLabs

Cadet

Thanks a lot. That's what I thought, but knowing it for sure is much better. :)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Don't see any issues, just make sure the arrow on the bulb is pointing in the direction of the motor.

kbait

Commander

I have the bulb right next to my 15hp, and the tank in front. Works great.