rectifier/regulator question

hawkman222

Seaman Apprentice
I just received a rectifier/regulator that I bought used off a popular online auction site. It's for an Evinrude mid 80's 10 amp system with T/T. Part# for the regulator/rectifier is 583076. I'm hoping a few of you can look at the attached picture and give me your opinion. The electronics beneath the potting on the left side of the unit are bubbled up and appear corroded. The part does bench test Ok for the diodes and tach to ground. I don't like the looks of this thing. Am I overly concerned? Should I put it on my motor? Is this thing on it's last leg?

http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/9141/boatpart2.jpg

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: rectifier/regulator question

Can't tell about functionality, but 0583076 Rectifier is/was 35 Amp.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The picture is blurred and is of no real use to me. A better picture would be the other side where the components are.

Potting is used to keep moisture out of electronics and it is very effective in offensive environments.

When soldering components to a circuit board, flux is used to cleanse the area so that the solder can flow freely and coat all the parts in the joint.

Flux is usually brown and sometimes can be mistaken for electrical overload if it is not washed off in the assembly process, which does not always happen.

Some mfgrs. leave it on to act as a deterrent to corrosion, whereas others wash it off with approved solvents.

What I see in your picture does not bother me at all. What I want to know, to help you to answer your question, is what does the other side of the circuit board look like; i.e. the components.

Mark

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

If it tests OK but you don't want it because its ugly i'll just buy it & you can buy a pretty one :p

Been looking for that model at a great price :rolleyes:

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Looks like a normal circuit board to me, no corrosion from what I can see in the pic, the bubbling is normal, I'd use it.