Evinrude 1963 3HP A few Questions????

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First of all thanks to all who had a response to my questions on other motors. It is so great to have this forum. You don't feel like you're all alone with tearing into something. I just picked up a 1963 3 HP. Guy said it had not been fun in 5 years but he had run the gas out. So I put gas in and it started and ran perfect on the 5th pull. A few questions and observations though.

Its says to run 24:1 SAE 30 But I have read to go ahead and run TCW3 So I did.

The throttle is so stiff it you have to like brace your hand on one side and move it with other. How can I make this less stiff. Do I need to take flywheel off and get to it that way? And if I take flywheel off does that change timing.

There is a plate to the side of the spark plug area that does not look original. It is kind of chrome with greasy stuff on it. Is that the way its supposed to be? Thanks for any responses. Metty

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: Evinrude 1963 3HP A few Questions????

We need a photo to help you out. Look up under the stator plate and use a flashlight...some of the little OMC's have a friction-adjust screw that you can tighten (stiff) or loosen (smooth) with a plain old screwdriver. No way to tell about the mystery plate without a photo.

kbait

Commander

I don't believe there's a friction screw. Once the flywheel is off, it's easy to remove, clean and grease it up. Remove the stator plate, and the ring it's connected to. You'll see a friction spring that has the original, very thick grease on it. Clean it up and use a bit of white lithium grease. Might as well touch up and reset the points while you're in..

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Cool, thanks for the replies. I have never taken a fly wheel off. Do you have to get it back on in exact spot? Can this mess up timing. And I have usually only messed with newer electronic systems. Can you give me a little pointer on touching up the points???? I will take a picture of the plate soon. Its the one that sits right behind the air breather tube looking thing that goes kinda towards the back of the the motor. Thanks again. Metty

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Cool, thanks for the replies. I have never taken a fly wheel off. Do you have to get it back on in exact spot? Can this mess up timing. And I have usually only messed with newer electronic systems. Can you give me a little pointer on touching up the points???? I will take a picture of the plate soon. Its the one that sits right behind the air breather tube looking thing that goes kinda towards the back of the the motor. Thanks again. Metty

Use a puller to get the flywheel off---one that pulls by the 3 bolt holes in the center of the flywheel. Do NOT use a puller that grabs the outside of the flywheel. You MUST be sure the tapers are clean and dry before reassembly, and you MUST use a torque wrench to tighten the nut to 35-40 foot pounds. Don't worry about any timing.

The points should be in good condition and grease-free. Adjust the gap to .020" at the widest opening.

You will find four screws that hold the armature plate down. Two go through the coils and the other two between the coils and points. After you get it all cleaned up, re-lube very sparingly!! Excess grease only gets splattered off by vibration and fouls the points.

That plate is the exhaust cover. Never saw a chrome one. You sure it isn't just aluminum? It gets blazing hot when running, so don't touch it. There is fire on the other side of it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

A quick word on the mag plates... You don't want them TOO loose, as they tend to vibrate a bit and move on their own. VERY annoying. A little friction on the plate is a good thing so that it stays where you put it. Too much friction, as in your case, is not so good...

kbait

Commander

By 'touch-up the points', I mean to remove 'em and use a rather coarse file to get any pits/discoloration out of each face, and then a fine point file to shine 'em up. Install and gap to .020 where they open widest on the cam lobe. I check for continuity w/multimeter before hooking the coil/condenser wires up w/points closed. It will go down to 001 when proper. I've seen really nasty, deeply pitted points run fine.. for awhile. May as well shine 'em up while you're in there. Don't worry about making the stator to free.. You can always bend the throttle control handle upward slightly so it lightly rubs the tank mount for a bit of friction. It's really nice when you can move the control w/o having to grab the motor to keep it from turning. There's an adjustment for the engine swivel tension on the upper part of the 'leg' when looking at it from the rear..