3hp recoil starter spring

jshouk

Cadet
the fun continues. after fixing up the head gasket and the loose condenser connection the engine fired right up after one pull today. which is good because the recoil spring on pull starter went slack - broken just before the soft steel loop. has any one ever repaired the spring connection by annealing the end and making a small loop to fit over the locating pin out of the spring itself. i think that should work but i only want to fix it once. as should be obvious i'm too cheap to buy a new spring (it broke my heart to have to buy a real factory head gasket). thanks, jon s

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 3hp recoil starter spring

A new spring is the way to go;but I have had good luck rebending with just enough heat to allow an easy bend.Be sure you only wind enough for a full recoil.Be sure the rope is long enough 56-61 65" 62-67 71 1/2",68,56"

jshouk

Cadet

shazam, i'll try it - not much to loose. and thanks for the cord length; that makes the rewind easy. jon s

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

To make the loop, once hot, wrap it around a nail of the diameter of the pin and fold the tip back flat with the spring. Let it cool in the open air - don't dip it to cool it! I've fixed quite a few that way with good results...

jshouk

Cadet

i compromised. i annealed th old spring, put a loop in it and then retempered the end so it won't open under load. however, i also had an intact spring from a newer parts motor and i installed that instead. i'll keep the other for a backup. winding that spring into the housing sure keeps you attention focused. thanks again, jon s