carb kits vrs just cleaning

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer
After reading a lot of post I noticed that some people say just give the carbs a good soaking, is that enough or should carb kits always be used? I soaked my carbs and seems to be runing alright although it idles a little rough. I have a 1893 70hp 3 cylinder and figure that they just idle that way.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: carb kits vrs just cleaning

imho, you waste you time in not doing it correctly, with a kits, and removing the jets.

that motor is a 3 cylinder, the link n sinc, is very important on that motor, as you have 3 carbs, and 3 cylinders. if one carb is not in sinc, you can very easily do drastic damage the the motor.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

All depends on the condition of the internal components. On a carb that has been sitting for a few years and has dried up inside I always replace internals or a carb that's been submersed and has sat, kit for sure. Sometimes multiple cleanings are required to get a carbs to work correctly. In the case of idle, there is very little that can go wrong as far as kit components, did you remove the welch plug on the top of the carbs and at the side to get at the idle circuit? And it also depends on the cleaner, some cleaners are much better than others. It should idle well. My 9.9 had a submersed carb, needed a kit for certain, didn't want to risk running lean. My 55 I took it off, soaked it and reassembled, it idles like a dream. I'd say take them off and clean them again until it idles well. Check plug too, a badly gapped plug can also cause poor idle conditions. You also have an idle adjustment on your carbs, have you played with it to try to get it to idle better?

patrick4266

Chief Petty Officer

I did not remove the plugs however i am going to order the kits and will soak them again and remove the plugs. and I ordered the manual yesterday so i can do the link & sync. Cost me 85 bucks but you get what you pay for.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It's still a good investment, unless you know this stuff inside and out the manual is a bible for outboard motors, think of the money you'll save avoiding the dreaded marina.

tashasdaddy

here is some good reading some of it pertains to older motors, but good to know. if you are going to maintain the motor yourself, the manual is the best investment you made. when bored just read it. then when you have problems, you will have an idea, what it could be, and then search the manual.

of course you can always get back up advice here.

when a lot of us were beginners, manuals were not readily available, and there was nothing like iboats. we learned the hard and expensive way.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

when bored just read it. then when you have problems, you will have an idea, what it could be, and then search the manual.

Good advice.

When I got my manuals I would lie in bed and spend about 10 minutes, before sleep, reading a section or two. I would go to sleep thinking about what I had just read. It works very well for imprinting. I started doing that with text books in university and college. I now consider manuals to be recreactional reading. Move over Dan Brown.;)

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

I bought 2 manuals for my old outboard.One for the shop and one for the bathroom....:p
Good reading...lol!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If you are in there and only want to do the job once then a kit is a great idea.
Just my 2 cents though.

justbehindit

Cadet

that motor is a 3 cylinder, the link n sinc, is very important on that motor, as you have 3 carbs, and 3 cylinders. if one carb is not in sinc, you can very easily do drastic damage the the motor.

Our duck season is almost over so I will be storing the boat and motor soon. The motor tends to run better with new plugs but still doesn't seem to like low idle for a long time especially in cold duck hunting weather. Looks like a carb rebuild is in the future.

At any rate can you expand on the damage issue?

tashasdaddy

the carbs delivery fuel and OIL, if the carb is not delivering the correct fuel, it is not delivering the correct oil. thus a dry cylinder, being drug by the running ones. can blow the engine.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

I bought 2 manuals for my old outboard.One for the shop and one for the bathroom....:p
Good reading...lol!

The one I have in the bathroom is a Clymer. I use it for toilet paper:p.

Try the carb linkage synch first. It may save you a carb job. Make sure the butterflies are all starting to move/open at exactly the same time. There is probably a little "play" in the linkage between the carbs so you will have to compensate for that. Then set to the correct timing at idle. Fine tune by adjusting low speed needles. My 2 cents

justbehindit

Cadet

the carbs delivery fuel and OIL, if the carb is not delivering the correct fuel, it is not delivering the correct oil. thus a dry cylinder, being drug by the running ones. can blow the engine.

I am going to make the assumption that I am okay at this point since all 3 plugs are equally wet when inspected. It's probably still a good idea to rebuild the carbs in the early spring since I'm not getting a good immediate throttle up on take off and I have to let it build. Of course the weather is in the 30's to 40's. Perhaps a tune up is called for as well. Probably tuned up about 4 years ago with just a change in plugs since then.

Question: I recall reading in the manuals that the carbs shouldn't be immersed because the castings have been coated in some way. I take this coating to be something required to help eliminate porosity issues in the carb bodies. Should I use a solvent which requires a soak or just dip and brush?