Cold fuel pump???

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander
Seems I keep having issues with the colder weather.

Anyway, in starting my 1980 115hp Evin, I'm having a bit of trouble. I pump the fuel fine and get the motor started okay, but it ends up dying and I have to re-pump the bulb a fair bit. It seems like I've run out of the fuel in the float bowl and nothing has been drawn from the tank. This happens a couple of times while warming the motor up and getting everything in it's place. Once I get going, the motor runs fine.

After fishing for a 3 hours or so, it starts up fine again.

It's a bit hard to troubleshoot in the driveway as I've turned the water off.

Is this a sign the fuel pump is going or might there be another issue?

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: Cold fuel pump???

Simple check would be to pump up the carbs full of gas and disconnect the line running from the pump to carbs and run it into a portable tank, that will allow you to see if it's pumping. Could be a weak pump or it could indeed be the cold. I gotta laugh, you wouldn't catch me boating in -7 C weather, you must be a die hard!

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

I gotta laugh, you wouldn't catch me boating in -7 C weather, you must be a die hard!

It has not been that cold here except for the past couple of days. But I find I enjoy fishing on the big lake better than loading up snowmobiles and going ice fishing on the small lakes.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sounds like the normal part of start up. When the motor is cold, the start procedure instructs you to bump the key in to get some additional fuel to be shot in behind the carburetors and create a richer mixture until the motor warms up. If you don't do this, the motor could die especially when it is cold outside.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like the normal part of start up. When the motor is cold, the start procedure instructs you to bump the key in to get some additional fuel to be shot in behind the carburetors and create a richer mixture until the motor warms up. If you don't do this, the motor could die especially when it is cold outside.

Nope. Not what's happening. As I said, after the motor dies, I have to pump the bulb a fair bit to get it hard again. I use the key bump to keep it running right after it starts, but it dies after a minute or so.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

It could be then a fuel pump that is getting weak. Problems with a weak pump would be amplified in very cold weather during a cold start. Why don't you disassemble it and see what you find. Might be as simple as a partially obstructed fuel filter. I like bktheking's test below. Interesting way to test a fuel pump. Might simply be the cold weather. I don't think I have ever been out in a small boat when the temperature was well below freezing.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

It could be then a fuel pump that is getting weak. Problems with a weak pump would be amplified in very cold weather during a cold start. Why don't you disassemble it and see what you find. Might be as simple as a partially obstructed fuel filter. I like bktheking's test below. Interesting way to test a fuel pump. Might simply be the cold weather. I don't think I have ever been out in a small boat when the temperature was well below freezing.

Thanks.

I've been out in my 12' when I had to break 15' of ice (from the shore, not depth) to get to open water, where my fly line won't bend and my guides are solid with ice.

But this is my 18' and I'm having issues while it is still above freezing. But I plan to go out this weekend as well and it looks like it will be below freezing. I have a propane heater and can close the back of the boat if needed (not even close to airtight so no CO concerns).

Might take a look at it tonight but it is really hard to diagnose when I can't fire the motor up in the yard.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Could also be worn quick connects sometimes they will suck air and not leak gas.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

I have a propane heater and can close the back of the boat if needed (not even close to airtight so no CO concerns).

Uhh.... I hate to rain on your parade, but the CO does not have to be in an airtight area to kill you. CO is a heavy gas and settles in the bottom of a compartment (the cockpit of your boat). It is an odourless colorless gas so you may be breathing it without being able to smell it or see it. First symptom of CO poisoning is drowsiness. A local coastguard told me 50% of local drowning deaths are fishermen sitting in the boat breathing exhaust (CO) from trolling. When they get up to take a whiz they have a vasovagal episode (Veins in the legs do not contract enough to prevent blood from draining from head to legs). This causes the fisherman to pass out from lack of blood pressure to the brain. He falls overboard and drowns (with his weeny still in his hand:eek:).

I have to admit, however, I share your enthusiasm for late in the season boating. I took my runabout out today. It was 5 Celcius. For this time of year that's downright balmy. It was a beautiful day on the water. Water was like glass and I was the only one out there except for the loons, geese and gulls. I won't be breaking any ice, but as long as there's open water at the ramp and the wind isn't too high, I will be going out.:D

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

Uhh.... I hate to rain on your parade, but the CO does not have to be in an airtight area to kill you. CO is a heavy gas and settles in the bottom of a compartment (the cockpit of your boat).

It will sink under the floor long before I could breath any in.
It is an odourless colorless gas so you may be breathing it without being able to smell it or see it. First symptom of CO poisoning is drowsiness.
My TV must give off a lot of CO then ;)

Really, I understand CO and it isn't an issue for my setup.

I have to admit, however, I share your enthusiasm for late in the season boating. I took my runabout out today. It was 5 Celcius. For this time of year that's downright balmy. It was a beautiful day on the water. Water was like glass and I was the only one out there except for the loons, geese and gulls. I won't be breaking any ice, but as long as there's open water at the ramp and the wind isn't too high, I will be going out.:D

Done breaking ice for the year as those lakes have no more open water. But our big lake stays open year round. Buddy had a charter out yesterday and caught 7 fish, up to 12 pounds. Wind is what keeps me off the lake as it can whip up pretty good.

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

And I picked up a new pump. The hoses and connections are all fine so I'm guessing it is getting weak (looks pretty old) and it's time to replace.