Jump out of forward

mstrobeck

Recruit
I have a 1997 25hp 2 stroke Johnson I went out put it in forward put it under load at about 4000 rpm went about 500 yards and it jump out of gear.
pulled it back to neutral to stop the engine from revving looked at shift cable and everthing looks fine no problem with reverse, I put it back in gear it did the same thing. I tried to manually put it in gear and sounded like gears grinding. Any ideas?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Jump out of forward

Likely fwd gear and clutch dog are worn and need replacement.

jasper60103

Commander

Was the lower unit recently removed?

Also, welcome aboard!

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

First thing to try is disconnecting the shift cable and shift the motor by hand with the cable disconnected. If it works manually, then the problem is with the shift cable or cable adjustment

mstrobeck

Recruit

No the lower unit has not beeen serviced in three year as I only put about 15 hours a year ont it. I use my electric trolling motor the most.
Thanks,

mstrobeck

Recruit

Yea I thought about trying that but didn't have my flush kit with me. I will try next weekend.

Thanks

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

No the lower unit has not beeen serviced in three year as I only put about 15 hours a year ont it. I use my electric trolling motor the most.
Thanks,

Well, you really should be changing that oil at least once a year no matter how many hours you put on it. The condition of that oil will tell you alot about the condition of the lower unit.
Let's hope it's the cable.