1978 Evinrude 4hp water tell tale hole

jughead0691

Cadet
Hi all. I just purchased a 1978 Evinrude 4hp engine and was wondering where the water tell tale is on this engine. The engine runs great and seems that it is not overheating (So I assume that it pumps water) put I cannot see a water tell tale. Please help.

Cheers,

Paul

Last edited:

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: 1978 Evinrude 4hp water tell tale hole

No tell tale but you should see some water, a few drops, maybe only a mist, coming out of a back pressure relief port on the back of the leg

Main thing is that it is not overheating

Sandro1936

Recruit

Hi,
When in 1984 I bought a new 4 hp Johnson, being used to the (cool) fountain of my 1963 Seagull, I wondered why there was no tell tale. So I drilled a 1.5 mm hole in the cylinder head and now I can relax about water flowing.
Sorry I am far away from the engine, otherwise I would send a picture of the hole position.
All the best

Sandro

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

If you are going to fit some sort of tell tale then from a high point is a good idea. that ensures all air is swept from the cooling system. The last thing you want is the cooling system only part full of water.

Seagulls are a different matter. That not a tell tale you see. That's the outlet ... all the cooling water comes out of there

Sandro1936

Recruit

Of course in the Seagull all the flow of water is output from the hole in the cylinder head; this is part of its wonderful simplicity.
In the Johnson, to be sure not to subtract water to the engine cooling, I made the hole at the very end of the jacket path, just before the input to the exhaust. Moreover, the telltale hole being very small, the whole circuit remains under pressure and no air lock is feared.
I never noticed overheating and a glimpse from time to time assures me that water is running regularly.
One problem with an outboard fitted on the transom could be the peeing inside the boat while reversing, but in my Drascombe Dabber the outboard is fitted in a well draining to the sea, so this does not happen.
All the best,
Sandro

P.S. An English language question:
I could not find an apter word than "peeing". I saw it used also in this forum. Is this a vulgar term? If so I apologise and please warn me and I shall not use it anymore.