Need help jump starting 75hp Johnson

2wings

Cadet
I cannot find my original post but I am still trying to solve my starting problem. I had the starter rebuilt and it work for a couple of starts but the bolt to the starter case came loose. The mechanic replaced it with a long bolt, lock washer, and nut. That work fine, the engine started perfectly. I cranked it several times in time and upon inspection found that the other starter bolt had come loose. I replaced the bolt and now all it does is spin and does not engage the flywheel. I have cleaned all connectors and it still spins and does not engage. There are three connectors on the solenoid, a large on that the positive wire is attached and two smaller wires. Which can I ground to start the engine directly to check for a switch short?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help jump starting 75hp Johnson

If the starter spins, the solenoid is providing current to it. Check the bendix gear to see that it is free to spin up on the bendix and engage the flywheel. Make sure the starter is spinning in the correct direction. Check the connections where the battery cable meets the battery and solenoid. They should be clean and tight. Ditto for the battery ground cable, where it meets the case and the battery.