Johnson - To Buy or Not to Buy

thimsllib

Seaman
Hi all,
Could use some friendly advice from some seasoned Johnson owners. I'm looking at a 1976 85HP Johnson for $600. Haven't tested anything yet, but I'm told that it runs perfectly, starts right up, good compression... just came out of the water (salt) this past September and ran all season with no issues. I've never owned a Johnson and was wondering A) is this a good price (assuming that it is in as good condition as I am told it is), B) is it worth buying a 33 year old Johnson, and C) are parts readily available for a Johnson this old? . I see alot of older Johnson's all over the place, so it seems like they're good reliable motors, but 33 years is 33 years. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Johnson - To Buy or Not to Buy

Yes it's a good motor. Yes you can still get most parts for it. Probably worth at least that much if it's in excellent condition.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The series of motors to which the 1976 85HP motor belongs ends in 1977 with little compatibility to parts made after 1977. The 1976 85HP has a smaller displacement than the 115 or 135 V4 motors from that year, but most other motor parts from the 1973 - 1977 series will work.

I think that you would be much better off if you find a V4 motor from 1979 or more recent.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If it is in good condition then it is worth the money. You do however need to verify it's running condition before you buy though.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

ezeke is of course correct about the '78+ motors being the more modern motors. I didn't have any trouble finding parts for my '73 Johnson though. I think the lower units may cost you a good bit more if you ever need a complete unit.

jbjennings

Captain

I personally would be scared of any motor that was 33 years old and ran in salt water. The chances of getting it apart if you had to fix it without breaking all your bolts are not very good. I'm suprised noone has mentioned the salt water as being a BIG no-no on a used motor, ESPECIALLY an old used motor.
I'd be worried about water jacket corrosion also, which can't be inspected without removing the heads. The motor would not worry me at all if it passed all the checks as far as it's age, or parts problems.
JMO,
JBJ

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Even if the motor were in perfect running condition and had never seen salt water, unless it comes with a running PT&T and controls, it does not have a market value of $600.00 US on the east coast of the United States.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

My buddy had a '76 J85 last summer and it ran well and got good fuel economy. I was surprised for a 4 banger.

But his did not have electric PT&T, it had a manual hydraulic pump by the shifter that you had to pump up to lift the engine. And then open a relief valve to drop it down again. I have never seen anything like it!

86 century

Ensign

I would not pay that much for a mid 70's johnson of any hp. I am in indiana and have that much in a pair of johnson 115's both with power tilt&trim

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The BEST deals on motors are often ones still attached to a trashed boat :) Drag the whole rig home, swipe the motor, part the rest out and recoup some of your investment.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The BEST deals on motors are often ones still attached to a trashed boat :) Drag the whole rig home, swipe the motor, part the rest out and recoup some of your investment.
Can't disagree with that.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

I agree with Ezeke,there are more positives in getting a newer eng.One being trim and tilt ,and I mean a TnT that is a part of the eng.not an add on.There are good deals out there,also,try and find a lake run eng.At least in the North east you have seasons,down here in S Fl.that eng would have been history years ago

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

The 85hp V4 is my least favorite of the V4's, simply because it is heavy for the hp. Compared to the same vintage 70 or 75hp, the 85 is a bit of a dog.

Once you are in the 100hp range, the V4's are fine.

Mine is a 1980 115.

Also, I wouldn't want one without TnT.

But around here, $600 would be cheap. I sold the 1977 70hp that came with my boat for $1200.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

$600.00 is not a bad price. The dealors would charge about twice that or more. 86 centry, if you got two 115's for that, then you did good. Go down to your local dealor and price those 115's out. I bet you won't get close to one, for less than a grand. I just had a 1986 25hp given to me, so you just never know what kind of deals will come up:D

Like a few others here said, check the running condition thoroughly before you purchase it. If it's been in salt water, you can see signs of it, around all the blots, like on the lower unit and the heads. If everything looks nice and clean around the bolts, that says that it has been cared for and flushed properly. Ones with high salt water use will have rust and corrosion leaching out around the bolts a lot.:cool:

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

1976 was the year OMC started using nitrogen-charged cylinders to aid in tilting on the manual (non PT&T) V4 models. If all is well it will be easier to tilt than you might expect.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The buy/no buy decision is entirely a function of the condition of the motor, IMO. I have a 1972 Johnson 65hp, hydro-electric motor, which is one that most people would totally freak out about buying. If I were asking your question here about it, I'd dare say that 90% of the responses would be negative.

That said, I love mine. It is extremely reliable and I tow guys with new and expensive motors into the launch with it frequently. I also run my motor much more than the average recreational boater. Further, I use my boat to do volunteer SAR missions for the USCG and Dept. of Wildlife and fisheries, on occassion. I am confident enough of this motor to launch on searches after dark, as I did just a few nights ago.

Its all about accurately determining the condition of the motor, either through your own abilities, or finding someone else who can access its condition. I bought my motor because it was in excellent shape in terms of mechanical items, electrical items and basic comestic appearance. In short, it hadn't been run much and had been very well taken care of. I did have to do the usual items - water pump, fuel pump, carb rebuild, etc., and I did rebuild the ignition system about a year after I bought it, but the motor has still proven to be very economical.

Six hundred dollars for the motor, if it is really in top condition, would not bother me. Depending on your needs, not having tilt/trim wouldn't bother me either, because its just one more thing that can develop problems. What I would say, is that you should not expect to buy the motor for that amount and not have to spend more over the nest year or so.

Old motors need to be maintained and things like power packs of unknown longevity, do go bad once in awhile. Unless items like this have been recently replaced and that fact is verifiable (as in, he has receipts), I'd think of the motor more as a $1,500 - $2,000 motor. You buy it for $600, go through it and spend a few bucks, end up with a few kinks later on, get those fixed and end up with a solid runner.

Approach the motor with caution and don't take anything that the seller tells you as "gospel." It could be a lousy money pit and it could be a steal at $600, you just have to figure out just what it is that you are buying.

???