71 Johnson 6 hp replacing starter pull cord

harry frank

Recruit
My Dad asked me to replace the starter pull cord on his 6hp outboard. Seemed easy enough, took old cord off put new cord on.... but have lost the rewind tension - what have I done! The shame.... Help!!!!

HB

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 71 Johnson 6 hp replacing starter pull cord

Courtesy of Joe Reeves, a frequent poster who I haven't heard from for awhile (????)

(Manual Starter Cord Installation)
(This pertains to the vertical type of Manual Starters such as the 9.5hp and later 6/8hp models etc)
(J. Reeves)

1 - Have a pair of vice grips handy set so that they will grab the top of the starter spindle tightly but will not damage it.

2 - Using a large screwdriver inserted into the top of the starter spindle, wind the starter in a counter clockwise direction 12 to 14 turns, stopping so that the cord locking slot is facing the away from the engine.

3 - Lock the spindle in that position with the vice grips, letting the vice grips lay against the flywheel.

4 - Insert the cord as needed and make sure it is retained properly at that slot.

5 - Feed the cord out the starter cord hole at the front of the engine and attach the handle.

6 - Grip the cord tightly so that the spindle cannot spin around rapidly, then release the vice grips.

7 - Allow the cord to be withdrawn slowly around the spindle.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The above procedure only works if you have maintained correct tension on the rewind spool. It won't work otherwise, because the spring will have relaxed, thus there is nothing to rewind the spool.

If this is the case the procedure is as follows:

"Raise pinion gear to engage flywheel and lock in position with handle of pliers. Turn flywheel clock-wise with wrench counting 16-1/2 turns of pinion gear."

"Install rope as described in Replacement of starter rope."
(this is essentially as Joe describes)

???

mjquinn01

Cadet

hey, Thanks!!!!! I've been "dinkin" around for two days trying to get the pull cord wound and such, stumbled upon your advice today and it worked perfect!!!! winding that sarter worked wonderfully! Thanks Much!!

Mike (1969 Johnson 6HP)