90 HP Johnson leaking water at seam

ScurveeDog42

Cadet
I just ran my motor to distribute some Stabil and noticed that with the ear muffs, water is leaking from the seam between the lower and upper unit. This appears on both sides. I am wondering if this is a matter of just tightening these
bolts and if there could be some damage. I figure I should replace the lower unit oil. Thought I'd ask first. Thanks. Thom

Attachments

• leak2.jpg
    leak2.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 4

bills2004svt

Cadet
Re: 90 HP Johnson leaking water at seam

Sometimes the water leaks there due to the water pressure form the garden hose bieng to high. There is no gasket there just metal to metal.

ScurveeDog42

Cadet

Thanks for the response. Once I posted I was I-Boats gave me a list of similar threads that said what you told me. I feel much better now. Told my wife I had other things I was going to not do today. :)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Not a big deal in my opinion.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Actually, the water is leaking from your lower mount cover. It is not supposed to do that. If you look at the seam between the midsection and the gearcase, you will see voids where they meet. These are intentional to allow water to leak out between the midsection and gearcase.

I would remove the lower mount cover and try to trace where the motor is leaking. There could be a crack in the midsection.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Actually, the water is leaking from your lower mount cover. It is not supposed to do that. If you look at the seam between the midsection and the gearcase, you will see voids where they meet. These are intentional to allow water to leak out between the midsection and gearcase.

I would remove the lower mount cover and try to trace where the motor is leaking. There could be a crack in the midsection.

As for the seam, it is a metal to metal ungasketed fit and leakage there is normal. Actually, you are supposed to use some sealer such as Scotchgrip 847 in the joint when ressembling after a lower unit removal, just for cosmetic reasons. But if it hasn't been done, don't worry because anything coming out there was destined to go out with the underwater exhaust anyway.

As for the mount area. There are large drain holes there that get rid of water that escapes the water pump around the drive shaft hole. It is perfectly normal and expected. In fact if it weren't drained off, it would go up to powerhead level and possibly cause damage.

So, relax your motor isn't broken.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

F_R, Not to argue the point, but my '98 Johnny 150V6 has cast-in slots in the joint between the midsection and gearcase to allow water to drain. The service manual specifies no sealer or gasket material, so that these slots stay open. it appears that Scurvee Dog's motor has the same slots, hence my answer.