1958 35hp johnson

coolguy147

Commander
so far this the repairs on my gearcase have been great. i got probably few hours on it since then. i havent checked my oil yet probably should since winter is coming around. if no leaks are found id say its a good motor

next problem. i help on getting it to idle right. now the engine runs great dont get my wrong. hole shot aint that bad either even with a full load of people. lots of torque i must say. now when i first start the motor cold it likes to lean sneeze. it will do this for at most a minute or until it warms up. then it wont do it anymore unless i shut it down for it to cool down considerably. i have the low speed needle out 1 turn out. high speed dont know but its already set a long time ago. might recheck but i believe its good. sounds like its reaching good rpms too.

and it doesnt like idle really low. compresiion i believe is 115-120? i decarbed it too. twice acually. i dont know the idle speed and trying to find my mechanical tach but im looking into getting the photo one so i can check top rpms too. and its safer:eek: any ideas on idle?

lindy46

Captain
Re: 1958 35hp johnson

Lean sneeze on cold motor is normal until it warms up. Try running motor at WOT and adjust high speed to optimum. Then idle her down and adjust the low speed to optimum. 1 turn out sounds a little lean. Have you cleaned carb lately?

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

my 90 has been lean sneezing at start up for 7 years now!glad to hear the old beast is running good for you.i concure in adjusting the low a tad.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Ahhhh, just back the low speed jet out 1/4 turn when you start it cold, then turn it back in, once it's warmed up. Are you running a twin line tank on it, or have you converted to a single? Chances are, if your running the older twin line tank on it, the sneeze is because there isn't much pressure built up in the tank yet.:cool:

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Ahhhh, just back the low speed jet out 1/4 turn when you start it cold, then turn it back in, once it's warmed up. Are you running a twin line tank on it, or have you converted to a single? Chances are, if your running the older twin line tank on it, the sneeze is because there isn't much pressure built up in the tank yet.:cool:

Agree with all the above. Lean sneeze is normal till it warms up. If it doesn't idle right once warm, adjust the slow speed needle. That's why it is there. If the sneeze when cold bothers you, open the needle a tweak till it warms up.

That sneezing during warm-up is why they put the automatic choke on the newer motors. Be glad you don't have one of those.

coolguy147

Commander

no no no its doesnt bug me at all that the lean sneeze happens when it warms up. i opened the the low speed 1/8 turn from 1 turn out and it didnt lean sneeze when cold.

im guessing from that point and one turn in is best. ill adjust the high speed needle maybe again. im sure that i got it right the first time. but it doesnt hurt to recheck your work

i tried to conserve the battery since im waiting on a battery charger. might invest in one of those solar panels.

so what the idle speed for one of these beasts? thanks for the help guys.

anyone ever use a photo graphic tachometer? measures how fast something is turning? think that will work on my engine?

i looked at a tiny-tach commercial model but the man said he wasnt sure they will work on engines with points.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Pretty sure that tiny tach's work on any motor with a plugwire, they are inductive tach's.

coolguy147

Commander

but with a tiny tach he said that the signals can be scattered and such with engines with points and has had a few complaints

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Is this man trying to sell/offer you a much better (expensive) tach? If so, pass-aroonie. Tiny tachs work just fine...you just have to specify which type of engine you have when ordering.

coolguy147

Commander

he recommended the commerical tiny tach which im looking into getting cause i have so many different engines. atv's lawnmowers tillers etc boats.

he said its programable. said that sometime ago he did some custom orders on the point engines and they didnt work and kept losing money so he stoppped. they worked and didnt work he said. i might just get it because i can use it on my atv and future engines other than points but i wanna see if it will anyways

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Pulled from another outboard site:

Just installed a Tiny Tach on my 1960 Evinrude Lark 40. Works Great!

This is a magneto ignition engine, two cylinder, two stroke, two sets of points. Not easy to find a tachometer that would work on it. Tiny Tach model TT226R-1c. Ordered an extra long 14' wire. Simple installation - just wrap lead around spark plug wires and ground other wire.

coolguy147

Commander

oh well thats good! im still gonna look into getting the commercial since i have so many different engines im so curious at what rpm they are running at. the original tiny tach only updates every 2.5 sec which can be a pain because it may freeze incase i use it on a jetski or something in the future.

thanks for the advice:D

say what should my engine be idling at?

coolguy147

Commander

hopely the tach will work on my 1961 merc500 4 cylinder magneto ignition. if not i can still use it on my atv and future newer engines

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Tiny Tachs work fine, but you will need one for a 2-stroke engine. If you use one designed for 4-stroke motors, it will double the actual rpm.

If you want to use one tach to work on both 2 & 4 stroke motors, the commercial model might be suitable, because it is programmable. You do not need one, however, if all you want to do is to mount it to the outboard.

I've used them on a pair of 1958 ERude Bigtwins (same motor as yours, different "clothes"), on my generator and on my lawnmower. Aside from the 2-stroke model and 4-stroke model difference, they work the same and they work well.

http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/index.php

???

coolguy147

Commander

thanks that nice to know that i can talk to somebody who acually has experience with the product

yup i might get the extra ten foot line because if im in the front i wont be able to walk around the boat at full speed to check top rpm. nice to know thanks:rolleyes: think that will be my next purchase

what should these engines be idling at in gear and out?

coolguy147

Commander

lol whats that your saying lol?

anybody idle rpm though!?!?:confused:

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

It should work on the Merc just fine. As for the extended cable, Tiny Tach claims that they must install it for the tach to work correctly. While I would have them do the extension if I were to buy a new one, I extended my own and they work fine.

???

jbjennings

Captain

I'd say about 600rpm's on the idle, Coolguy.
Of course, mine idle far lower and NEVER lean sneeze when cold. You need to pull the powerhead and check the resistance of your flux capacitors.
;)
Later,
JBJ