Water coming out of exhaust on 1999 50HP

jgregory01

Seaman
I just bought this boat. The motor is a 1999 Johnson 50 2stroke with electric start tilt and trim. The motor ran great for about 30 min and then started to act up.

The motor would only engage or throttle up just above idle. Any more would produce a lot of hard shaking and no movement. Also I noticed exhaust and water coming out of the square rubber hold above the water line. I dont know what that area is called. Sorry.

This is my first boat and I am a bit worried. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water coming out of exhaust on 1999 50HP

was this on muffs or in the water? have you check compression and spark. any water in the cylinders? was it running hot. should be 140-160 F

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I just bought this boat. The motor is a 1999 Johnson 50 2stroke with electric start tilt and trim. The motor ran great for about 30 min and then started to act up.

The motor would only engage or throttle up just above idle. Any more would produce a lot of hard shaking and no movement. Also I noticed exhaust and water coming out of the square rubber hold above the water line. I dont know what that area is called. Sorry.

This is my first boat and I am a bit worried. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you.

Better explanation would be a big help and maybe some photos of what you are discussing.
Welcome to iboats.

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The exhaust ports just above the water line should expel a combination of exhaust gases and water. The two mix in the outboard design (below the power head) to help keep things cool.

As to the engine's shaking and and inability to rev above idle - the first thing I'd look for would be a bad priming bulb in the fuel line. That's the bulb you sqweeze to prime the engine with fuel. The bulb shoud fill with fuel, compress as you squeeze it and get firm one the fuel system is primed. When a bulb goes bad, it won't stay firm. There is a one way check valve in the bulb that can go bad.

Replacement fuel lines with bulb and coulplings (make sure you buy one that matches yours) are available from a variety of sources - including WalMart.

That's where I'd start...

jgregory01

Seaman

Thanks a lot. I did notice at one point that the fuel line had come off. I popped that back on and primed it.

jgregory01

Seaman

100_5929-1.jpg

Here is a pic of my engine. This photo does not show the problem but I tried to show what I am talking about. The arrow is pointing to the area of a rubber square hole. I drew what it looked like on the picture. Out of that was coming smoke and a sputter of water. I dont know if this is normal. Hope it helps.

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, that's normal.

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jg....01

The experience I had with my '89 48 spl bouncing badly while I tried to acclerate was from something called S.L.O.W. I forget what they stand for and I'm pretty sure those are the letters anyway my powerpack went bad and thought it was running hot or something and it would kick into this mode to mimized the rpm.

I'm sure some of these guys can clarify better.

Beck

jgregory01

Seaman

I read about that. What did you do to fix it?

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had to replace the power-pack. The engine was not running hot it just thought it was. I mean the engine felt like it wanted to jump off the back of the boat when I tried to throttle up. Idle it ran fine.

Beck

Beck

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Or it was the ignition module or maybe there both the same, sorry it's been a long time. And alot has happened since, the Katrina thing. But I fooled with that problem alot before I actually bought a module. I mean I checked to make sure it wasn't running hot etc.

jgregory01

Seaman

An old thread but I am trying to update them from the past. Yes...my power pack was bad. The engine was going into s.l.o.w mode and would allow us to get back to the dock. New power pack and now its fine.