62 18hp fastwin - intermitent shift/no shift into gear

JKTrevecca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good evening all..

Getting ready to put the boat up this fall decided to take it out another time or two. Well.. After changing the lower unit oil with Marine 90w gear oil, I had some problems. The old gear oil looked fine. No water at all. I did notice that it seamed much more thick than the replacement oil though....? Is 90w the correct stuff? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The boat doesn't shift into gear/out of gear like it is supposed to. It shifted into reverse at the dock, but then wouldn't come out of reverse. (picture me running around backwards near the dock for about 5 minutes:p) After repeated attempts, it shifted out of reverse and into neutral, but wouldn't go into forward. Then... again, after repeated attempts, it finally went into forward gear.

Any idea's on what might have caused this? Could the gear oil change have done something? Once it's in gear, it stays like it is supposed to.

As always... thanks for your input.

jason

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 62 18hp fastwin - intermitent shift/no shift into gear

Good evening all..

Getting ready to put the boat up this fall decided to take it out another time or two. Well.. After changing the lower unit oil with Marine 90w gear oil, I had some problems. The old gear oil looked fine. No water at all. I did notice that it seamed much more thick than the replacement oil though....? Is 90w the correct stuff? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The boat doesn't shift into gear/out of gear like it is supposed to. It shifted into reverse at the dock, but then wouldn't come out of reverse. (picture me running around backwards near the dock for about 5 minutes:p) After repeated attempts, it shifted out of reverse and into neutral, but wouldn't go into forward. Then... again, after repeated attempts, it finally went into forward gear.

Any idea's on what might have caused this? Could the gear oil change have done something? Once it's in gear, it stays like it is supposed to.

As always... thanks for your input.

jason

Sorry, you can't blame that on the oil. What else did you have apart? Or what fell apart? Take the oval plate off the midsection and see if the shift rod is going up and down with no slack or lost motion whe you move the shifter lever.

Um.m.m.m, do you run this with remote controls? Maybe the cable end is slipping on the cable core wire (in the control box)?????

JKTrevecca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for the reply...

the only other thing that has been apart is the prop sheer pin was replaced. nothing else internal, however.

when the oval cover is removed, there is 1 bolt holding the upper shift rod to the coupler.... is there supposed to be 2? it looks like there is a bolt hole that holds the bottom shift rod, but no bolt in the hole....? Should there be a bolt in that hole also? I can post a pic if this doesn't make sense.

no controls. this is a tiller.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

thanks for the reply...

the only other thing that has been apart is the prop sheer pin was replaced. nothing else internal, however.

when the oval cover is removed, there is 1 bolt holding the upper shift rod to the coupler.... is there supposed to be 2? it looks like there is a bolt hole that holds the bottom shift rod, but no bolt in the hole....? Should there be a bolt in that hole also? I can post a pic if this doesn't make sense.

no controls. this is a tiller.
yes thats a coupler and 2 bolts are needed are far as i understand.that it went into gear atall is unusual.

cougar1985

Lieutenant Junior Grade

the lower rod should have a groove in it and you line this up with the bolt keeping in mind to make sure its shifting properly afterwards.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

You need a 1/4" 28tpi stainless steel bolt in that hole, with a lockwasher. Preferably one of the original style - a dealership might be able to help you out.

JKTrevecca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks all... The missing bolt was the culpret!! Iboats to the rescue again!

One last thing.. where can I order a few extra shear pins for the prop?

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

Which screw did you take out of the bottom to drain the LU? If it was a Phillip's head, that is the shift cradle pivot screw and should not be removed.

It is a pain to get it back in correctly, but it can be done. Remove it, and with a very small screw driver or ice pick, align the hole in the shift cradle and carefully insert the pivot screw, and tighten.

:DDon't ask how I know this