how much fuel is too much?

bignefan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an 87 evinrude 225 it has some problem but I'm working them out ,the last time I ran it it used 20 gallons of fuel in 2.5 hours now I stayed on it for about half the time,and ran about 4000 rpms the other half

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: how much fuel is too much?

At full throttle about 22.5 gal. per hour. A pretty good rule of thumb on a outboard at full throttle is 10% of the horse power= gal. of fuel per hour.

Les Young

Seaman

Sound about normal to me. The older outboard liked fuel a lot better when WOT than the newer ones do, but their still pretty hard on gas when running them flat out. The older big motors were very hard on gas.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

10% of the HP per hour at WOT. Seems you did well !!!
Assuming that "stayed on it" means WOT.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

10% of the HP per hour at WOT. Seems you did well !!!
Assuming that "stayed on it" means WOT.

Just think, an old V-4 50hp could suck up nearly half as much gas as that. And not get you nearly as far. Sounds like you are getting quite an improvement if you think about the history.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Just think, an old V-4 50hp could suck up nearly half as much gas as that. And not get you nearly as far. Sounds like you are getting quite an improvement if you think about the history.

Agree 100%. Makes me want to slip a 225 on my boat !!!! other than the fact that I would most likely sink it !!!!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

You either didn't stay on it as much as you think or you have a pretty small boat. I'm running a 1997 Evinrude Ocean Pro and in 2.5 hours of cruising @ 4200 rpm and I'm pushing 40 gallons hard.

Forget WOT, the sucking sound from the back drowns out the radio :D