starter problems

dueynetsell

Cadet
I have a 1989 175hp evinrude. A few weeks ago i got the typical "click" and the engine would not start. After factoring out many other possibilities i took apart my starter and realized that 2 of the 4 metal things connected to the brushes are disintegrated. They are metal things that sit on the spring coils inside the starter. My questions are what in the world are these things? how much do they cost to replace? and am i able to replace them my self?
Thanks in advance

bktheking

Vice Admiral
Re: starter problems

Those metal things are the brushes, they aren't connected to the brushes. They should also have copper wires coming off of them. Take the entire starter into a starter shop who rebuilds them and get them replaced.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

The brushes and springs are avaialble as a set, part number 385952.
$23 but probably cheaper from Sierra etc

See #76 in THIS DIAGRAM

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Starter / alternator shop will rebuild it for you and generally for a reasonable price with good quality work. They will warranty it as well. Go to one of the smaller shops, they seem to care more from what I have found.

dueynetsell

Cadet

whoops for some reason thought the wires were considered the brushes, but thanks again BK

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

you have already taken the motor apart i cannot see the point in putting it back together again with the old brushes and then paying someone else to do it all over again to put new brushes in.

Just rebuild it yourself with new brushes.