93 E40 powerhead into 89 E48 Motor assembly

lcowart

Recruit
Hello:

I have the following motors, 89 Evinrude 48 (E48ESLCER) with a dead powerhead and a 93 Evinrude 40 (TE40ELETB) with a bad gearcase (clutch dog came apart and damaged all gears, propshaft, etc.). I am trying to determine if I can swap the 93 powerhead into the 89 motor assembly. I know I have a driveshaft difference (14 spline in the 89 to a 18 or 19 spline? in the 93).

- Will the 93 powerhead properly mate up to the Exhaust housing assembly?

- Will the 93 driveshaft properly assembly in the 89 Gearcase? If the pinion gear has to change to match the 93 driveshaft splines I believe the proper rule would be to get a new gearset so everything mates and wears together and with the new gearset that would be taking me past the $$ amount I was hoping to spend to get a working motor.

- Other issues I'm not seeing at this point?

Thanks for any information provided.

Larry

lcowart

Recruit
Re: 93 E40 powerhead into 89 E48 Motor assembly

Thanks for the link. I've previously checked that and other links and many part #s are the same. The part # for the Pinion/Forward gear set are the same for the 1989 and 1993 motors identified but the driveshaft part # is different.. same length though.

One thing I can't seem to determine from part #s and online sales information is if the spline count on the lower (gearcase) side of the driveshaft is the same as the spline count on the upper part of the driveshaft. I assume the pinion gear mates with splines on the lower part of the driveshaft but have been unsuccessful in determining this prior to pulling both gearcases apart. I guess that will provide the final answer.

Thanks to you and the other qualified marine engine guys that respond and post here. It is an invaluable reference for us "cadets". It seems that is what I'm considered since I joined. :)

Thanks again for your assistance.