93 Evinrude 115hp - starting without controls

abody711

Cadet
Picked up 1993 115hp Evinrude yesterday. It did not come with controls. I would like to put the motor on a stand and make sure it cranks and runs before putting anymore money in to the motor. Is there a easy/safe way to ranke the motor without controls

Thanks
Allen

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: 93 Evinrude 115hp - starting without controls

You can crank it by running a heavy gauge wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the positive terminal on your starter motor.

The engine must be grounded for this to work. i.e. hooked up to the battery with a negative lead. You could also use jumper cables from the battery, black to the ground bolt on the engine and red to the starter motor positive.

Make sure the engine is in neutral, watch out for sparks and keep clear of the flywheel.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

connect battery cable as normal. the using a remote start switch, connected to pos post on solenoid and yellow wire solenoid. and manually operating the throttle and primer start the motor. be sure to have a good water source.

Attachments

• remote starter switch.jpg
    remote starter switch.jpg
    1.9 KB · Views: 0

abody711

Cadet

Thanks for the information. Guess I should also ask how to stop the outboard once it is running?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

choke it. turn red primer knob 180 *. pull plug wires, but you may get a good shock.