1972 Evinrude 65hp troubleshooting help

fishonwithme

Cadet
Have a 1972 Evinrude 65 hp with "Selectric" control box--Model # 65273S
This motor is off the boat. I try to start it with the control box and the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel.... if I continue to try to start it, using the key ignition, the ignition switch starts to smoke. The red wire with the blue stripe, on the ignition switch, gets extremly hot. I need help on where to start with replacing parts, or how to test which part is even bad.
1 ignition switch.
2 starter silinoid
3 bad control box.
the motor runs fine without the control box plugged in to the motor and "jumpstarting" it straight on the starter.....if this helps...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1972 Evinrude 65hp troubleshooting help

You probably have some resistance in the wiring for the starter and solenoid, fishon. That includes both the + and - wires from the battery to the engine. The worst offender is the battery ground wire where it attaches to the engine block.

Take those big wires off, carefully clean the ends and attaching points. Then inspect the wires for weak spots indicating internal corrosion. Then put them back on and give her a try.

There is a starter circuit troubleshooting guide in "Outboard won't start" in the Engine FAQs Forum if you need to go farther.

Good luck, and let us know what you find. :)

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Have a 1972 Evinrude 65 hp with "Selectric" control box--Model # 65273S
This motor is off the boat. I try to start it with the control box and the starter spins but does not engage the flywheel.... if I continue to try to start it, using the key ignition, the ignition switch starts to smoke. The red wire with the blue stripe, on the ignition switch, gets extremly hot. I need help on where to start with replacing parts, or how to test which part is even bad.
1 ignition switch.
2 starter silinoid
3 bad control box.
the motor runs fine without the control box plugged in to the motor and "jumpstarting" it straight on the starter.....if this helps...

OK, first off it should be blowing the fuse. Why isn't it? You got something in the fuseholder other than a fuse?

The reason it should be blowing a fuse is because there must be a short somewhere causing excessive amperage through the striped wire, which is the battery feed to the switch. That excessive amperage is why the wire is getting hot. (Actually for the record, it is a purple stripe).

As I ponder the situation, I wonder--is the whole wire getting hot or just a small section? If just a small section, you may have a corroded conductor (high resistance) at that place in the wire, which might explain why it isn't blowing the fuse.

Anyhow, make sure the motor is ok first. There are two white wires going to the solenoid. One comes from the ignition switch and the other goes to the safety switch. With the battery cables connected, and yellow cable unplugged, use a jumper wire to connect between the battery + cable and the white wire terminal that comes from the ignition switch. Warning--if you connect to the safety switch terminal it will destroy the safety switch instantly. Connecting that jumper wire should energize the solenoid and the motor should crank. I suggest you disconnect and ground the spark plug wires before doing this---otherwise you won't have any way to stop it if it should start.

If all that passes, it is on to locating the short. One low-tech way is to disconnect all but the striped the wires from the ign switch and reconnect them one at a time till you find which blows the fuse. Yeah, I know, back to the fuse question.

fishonwithme

Cadet

Thanks for your help on this one........YOUR GUYS ARE AWESOME....
I have checked everywhere for a fuse and any help on its location would be handy. I will try and post pics. I think the owner before me was trying to by-pass something, if you notice in the picture there is a red wire that is splice back together. Right behind that wire, in the picture, is a switch that has a electrical post with nothing attached. I will try the jumper wire method. Which white wire on the silinoid do I use>>>>>Looking down on it...Top or Bottom. Thanks agian for your help
B

Attachments

• DSC06730.JPG
    DSC06730.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC06731.JPG
    DSC06731.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC06732.JPG
    DSC06732.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 2

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for your help on this one........YOUR GUYS ARE AWESOME....
I have checked everywhere for a fuse and any help on its location would be handy. I will try and post pics. I think the owner before me was trying to by-pass something, if you notice in the picture there is a red wire that is splice back together. Right behind that wire, in the picture, is a switch that has a electrical post with nothing attached. I will try the jumper wire method. Which white wire on the silinoid do I use>>>>>Looking down on it...Top or Bottom. Thanks agian for your help
B

I really don't see the fuse holder in the picture. You might be correct, somebody might have removed it and spliced the wires. No wonder it doesn't blow.

The switch above/behind that splice is the safety switch. There is a white wire going to the top of it. Nothing goes on the lower terminal.

Since the wires can be swapped on the solenoid, you can't be sure which is the correct one to jump to unless you can see where they lead to. The safest way to do the test I suggested is to remove the white wire from the safety switch and ground it (the wire). Then when you jump to the solenoid you have a 50-50 chance of getting it right. If you get it right, it (should) crank. If you get it wrong, you will get sparks but won't destroy the safety switch because it isn't connected.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Someone has rewired your motor incorrectly. There should be an inline fuse holder where the yellow butt splice is. The fuse is a 20 amp unit.

You can probably buy a replacement fuse holder, but I don't know the part number for it. This is because it is an integral part of the wiring harness and shop.evinrude.com doesn't list a separate part number for the holder. Regardless, you should replace this immediately - its there for a reason and whoever took it out, should not have.

I would try to purchase an original OMC part, but if you have trouble getting one, at least go to an auto parts store and purchase a 20 amp blade fuse and inline holder. It will most likely not have the corrosion resistence that the correct, marine part will have, but its better than nothing.

The bright red wire attached to your solenoid also looks like it has been replaced. I would trace it to the point at which it was spliced into the old wire and check it for proper splicing and insulation.

In general, I would say that the person who took the fuse out, doesn't understand the implications of trying to run a motor with an obvious electrical problem. I would also be nervous about what other "nasty little surprises" that you might find in the electrical system. For this reason, I would buy a factory service manual and trouble shoot all of the electrical systems, looking for problems. As a part of that, you should look for the source of the current problem, and any other problems that may have existed. In particular, look for obvious shorts, "rubbery," loose wire insulation (indicates overheat), etc.

For whatever it is worth, I have the Johnson version of your motor and love it. I had to do a few things to get it in top shape, but it has been a very reliable and practical motor, ever since.

???

mosdad

Recruit

I have a 1972 65hp evinrude electric shift I start it up let it warm go to give throttle and it dies if I get pas the flat spott which is about midway on throttle it will open up then go back to low throttle and does all over again Thanks I might add this motor was rebuilt and hardley has any hours on it

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Welcome to iboats mosdad!

Please do not "hijack" a thread ....instead start a new one of your own ;)