1984 50hp Johnson Problem with low idle acceleration

mgrossman_45

Cadet
Greetings,

This is my first post. I have 2 boats. A 15ft. Crestliner with a 1984 50HP Johnson and a 25ft Boston Whaler. I am having some issues with my 15 footer.

Enigine: P/N - J50BELCRM - S/N J5936267

I have had this boat for 5 years and have only had one previous problem. It would bog down and die when trying to accelerate. I took it to a mechanic and and I had to have a one of the coils replaced. It ran perfectly for another 1.5 years. I use the boat 5 or 6 times a month, but recently have not been out for 3 months. It starts and idles just fine. But the low end acceleration (rpm from 1k to 2.5k is not there, as I accelerate there is no response until it just goes - waaaaa at about 3500 rpm and jumps out of the hole and runs fine.

Any ideas. I had another local mechanic look it over and he cleaned the carbs and adjusted idle (actually idles better than it ever has) but still has the low end problems.

Thanks in advance.

Michael

Maveric7383

Cadet
Re: 1984 50hp Johnson Problem with low idle acceleration

Have you done anything else besides clean and adjust the carbs? do you have a book?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1984 50hp Johnson Problem with low idle acceleration

two commonly missed items on those carbs. the small tube in the center of the carb, is the low speed pickup tube. they get missed when cleaning, this tube supplies low speed fuel. also the orifices in the top of the barrel, on the motor side of the carb.

also if not done, you are due new fuel lines, ethanol, you need alcohol resistant lines carb to tank.

it is covered here. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680