35 johnson dies when accelerating. help

cleve

Petty Officer 2nd Class
me and my buddy went to lake last nite and his motor started well and idled perfect but would die when going to full throttle. i thought it was the vent on the gas cap, it was open. we disconnected the fuel hose and squeezed the bubble and he was getting gas to motor. the choke was not stuck and his throttle and cables were all working properly. it would accelerate when he constantly pushed the choke while under way. i also noticed his primer bulb was soft after running a few minutes. what could be the problem? it's a 1983 or 84 35 johnson sea horse.

cleve

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 35 johnson dies when accelerating. help

forgot to mention the motor has run perfect until last nite and he keeps fresh gas in the tank.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

It sounds like there is something blocking fuel flow in the high speed side of the carb, pushing the choke while under way would normally kill the motor, in this case it is giving it enough gas to run properly. Check the condition of the fuel lines and filter as well if it has an inline filter. I still think junk in the carb is the problem. The fuel bulb will get soft after running, it's just used to pump fuel into the carb for cold starting. You need to remove the carb, soak it in carb cleaner, wash the carb with water after soaking and blow it out with compressed air.

cleve

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the gas tank is older and he said he emptied it out yesterday and put new gas in and also 2 new spark plugs because he had not run it in a few months. i wonder if a piece of trash or something broke loose inside the tank and got in the carb. maybe i can talk him into removing the carb and cleaning it, because i think he's scared to touch it. thanks for the reply

bktheking

Vice Admiral

The fuel lines break down inside too, could be anything.