No warm up lever?

stratodown

Cadet
I have an '88 Johnson 200hp V-6 looper on a Stratos F+S. Single handle control. I keep reading of warm up levers and means of running the throttle w/out putting the boat in gear. I've looked mine over and cannot find either device. Do I just have an odd control box? It's says OMC and looks to be OEM to the boat/motor.

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer
Re: No warm up lever?

Is it possible for you to post a picture of your control?

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Most single lever controllers have a button in the center of the handle you push in to disengage the shaft and just have the throttle.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is it possible for you to post a picture of your control?

Just a hunch, try grabing hold of the throttle lever at the base and pull outward. Does it come out a bit? If you have what I think you might have, pulling it outward disconnects the shift, then you can move it forward to give it a bit of throttle without putting it in gear.

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a hunch, try grabing hold of the throttle lever at the base and pull outward. Does it come out a bit? If you have what I think you might have, pulling it outward disconnects the shift, then you can move it forward to give it a bit of throttle without putting it in gear.

There are some controls that you'll scratch you head over-- pull out, pull up, push in, etc. I have a Teleflex control that the top of the knob tilts forward. But I would think an OEM OMC (try saying THAT 3 times real fast!) :) control should have the lever or the button ?

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Wow you've been starting that engine for 20 years without using the fast idle lever?? That's pretty good, must start nice if you never needed to use the fast idle lever.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it sounds like he has a concealed side console control. which could be any of the methods. push the center of the handle, tilt the handle top toward the driver, or the whole handle move away from the base. which ever, then you push the handle forward, to speed up the idle. never rev the motor over 1500 rpms.

i agree well tuned motor, or lots of primer, not to use the fast idle.

just had a customer, that had a 1990 88 Johnson with binnacle control, did not know to push the button on the binnacle, to disengage the gear ****. he had just been using a lot of primer.

SparkieBoat

Captain

reminds me of a friend who had built a house and lived in it 8 years before figuring out he had a damper in his fireplace..he kept wondering why he could not build a fire because the smoke came in the house everytime he tried

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Tashasdaddy.....Is that true never to run it in Neutral over 1500 RPM?

When mine fires off on a cold start it revs up to about 2200 and then I bring it down to like 1700 or 1800 and when it finally smooths out, it gets to come down to idle.

I have heard people start them up cold and they rev them up to what sounds like 4K or higher, screaming. I know that's not good, but I'd never get my '97 115 started cold without letting it go up to around 2K.

Thanks.

SparkieBoat

Captain

i have always had 3k as my neutral limit...just doesnt sound to revvy at under that to me.

stratodown

Cadet

FR nailed it. The whole handle moves in(toward the driver)and that disengages the shift mechanism. I've only owned the boat 2 years, but had always wondered why there was no fast idle to warm the engine up. Thanks guys, I doubt I ever would have stumbled onto that myself. Now it'll be easier to get going during my camping/fishing trip next week!

Tacklewasher

Lieutenant Commander

with no load on the motor, reving above 1500 rpms, can cause a motor to "RUN AWAY".

read this: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=194958

Read the thread but it seems to apply when on muffs.

it's call runaway because that what it is. when on muffs there is no backpressure on the exhaust, and no load on the engine, so when it gets warm it, wants to do what it was made to do.

Is it really an issue when in the water? Like others I let it warm up around 2.5K on the lake.

SparkieBoat

Captain

wow never heard of a runaway motor before..I will be more careful in the future..thanks Tash

NakedDog

Seaman

Hey guys...I just came across this discussion, as I too have a fast idle/ warmup lever issue.

I just winterized my 1996 Johnson 115 yesterday, and as I was running the motor with the stabilized fuel, I noted that the center push button at the bottom of the throttle did nothing, i.e.: did not affect the idle. Could this mechanism have been dismantled? cable issues? ...or perhaps as you have al stated, there is another mechanism that controls the fast idle.

By the way, I have received a tremendous amount of help/ info from many of you, which is very much appreciated. You have all been "right on" with your info. I just saved almost $300 from the 'winterizing' advice I received from you, and did the job myself which was surprisingly easy. Being a new boat owner, I am somewhat addicted to this site, and can't wait for spring! Thanks again!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

the push button itself doesn't do anything; it releases the throttle from the gear cable so you can give it gas. Push it in, hold it, and move the throttle lever--if you have that type. \Or it may look like a button, but is a cover, and you pull the handle out.

NakedDog

Seaman

ohhhh....I get it. So it's more of a 'release' than just a 'button'.

I look forward to trying it...in about 6 months! Guess I'll get the ice fishing rod ready in the meantime.