Choke(s) Evinrude 1970 40hp Big Twin Electric Start 40052A

New_Era

Cadet
On my motor there is a manual choke lever, (on/off/automatic) located on the motor by the carb, automatic choke (temperature controlled I believe) and electric choke (solenoid).

When in auto position is that for the automatic choke only or does the choke lever have to be in auto for the electric choke to work as well?

Do the automatic choke and electric choke operate totally independent of one another or are they somehow linked?

Automatic choke: When rebuilding the carburetor, I removed the automatic choke and I don't know if I put it back together correctly or if the spring tension inside the cover is what it should be so this may or may not be working. I saw the markings on the cover and tried to realign them as they were but the spring tension concerns me. How can I tell if this is working.

Electric choke: Don't know if this is working. There is a very short toggle switch on the control panel that toggles up and down. Should I be able to see the choke plate close or hear a noise when toggling this switch?

Thanks,

Ron

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Choke(s) Evinrude 1970 40hp Big Twin Electric Start 40052A

On my motor there is a manual choke lever, (on/off/automatic) located on the motor by the carb, automatic choke (temperature controlled I believe) and electric choke (solenoid).

When in auto position is that for the automatic choke only or does the choke lever have to be in auto for the electric choke to work as well?

Do the automatic choke and electric choke operate totally independent of one another or are they somehow linked?

Automatic choke: When rebuilding the carburetor, I removed the automatic choke and I don't know if I put it back together correctly or if the spring tension inside the cover is what it should be so this may or may not be working. I saw the markings on the cover and tried to realign them as they were but the spring tension concerns me. How can I tell if this is working.

Electric choke: Don't know if this is working. There is a very short toggle switch on the control panel that toggles up and down. Should I be able to see the choke plate close or hear a noise when toggling this switch?

Thanks,

Ron

Automatic choke: It is operated by hot air drawn in thru the pipe coming from the heat exchanger in the exhaust manifold. It functions as a warm-up choke to help keep it from spitting and snorting after a cold start. It should partially close the choke plate at room temperature. Note: The open hole a few inches below the pipe in the exhaust manifold is the air inlet. Don't plug it up.

Electric choke: This slams the choke plate shut for cold-starting. Once you release the toggle, the automatic choke takes over. Yes, when you operate the toggle switch, the choke plate should close.

Manual choke: Overrides all the above functions. It is either choke on or choke off----or in automatic position so the above stuff can work.

nikmisko

Cadet

I have the same motor and just wanted to know what is the best way to start then with choke on or in auto and push the electric choke button

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Leave the manual lever in auto positon. It is only there for in case of a malfunction or dead battery.

To cold-start the motor, use the electric choke and release it when it starts. Then the hot-air choke takes over and gradually opens as it warms up. If it doesn't work as designed, see the comment about malfunction.

ol_school

Cadet

This thread just taught me how to start my motor and taught me more about the carb