'84 35 hp evinrude running issues

riley09

Recruit
Have an '84 35 hp evinrude which only runs at half throttle for about 5 minute then cuts off. will not run full speed at all. runs ok on water hose. have rebuilt the carb and fuel pump. put new fuel and new fuel lines on it with no solution. moteor use to run about 15 mph and now on runs 7 mph. looks like i am getting spark on both of the plugs. please help

Last edited by a moderator:

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: please help

If you can never get above half throttle, the problem could still be in the carburetor. When you cleaned it, did you remove the high and intermediate speed jets and gave the holes a good shot of cleaner? Was the carburetor bowl full of gunk? You can also do a compression check and verify a good spark. A good chance it is still in the carburetor though.

jfadool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would also bet carb issues. But what is the condition of the plugs? Has the engine sat for some time un-used?

outlaw241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

with the engine not running i would put it in gear an an make sure the throttle linkage is working properly at wot

riley09

Recruit

its sat all summer. plugs are brand new. any more ideads?

14ftgrumman

Chief Petty Officer

Rebuild carb. Strip it down to nothing. Remove all jets, soak in cleaner over noght, blow out all passages with compressed air.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Remove one plug wire at a time and carefully ground it.see if the motor will run.See if it responds better with a little choke.On a typical little runabout that should run at 25-30 mph.

riley09

Recruit

ok I got it running about 13 to 15 mph but still when I give it the last 1/4/ inch of thottle it bong down to about 10 mph. I'm sure it is something minor or small adjustment.

Rudi2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I got it running about 13 to 15 mph but still when I give it the last 1/4/ inch of thottle it bong down to about 10 mph. I'm sure it is something minor or small adjustment.

sounds like the hi-speed jet is plugged-- do you remove and clean it when carb was rebuilt?