tilt-trim leak Suzuki-Johnson

larsone

Recruit
I'm having a re-occuring problem with the tilt/trim unit on a 2004 115hp 4 stroke. This Johnson outboard (JPL 115) is a Suzuki DF 115 marketed by Johnson in the 2003. The tilt/trim motor leaks oil out and ultimately lets water in ruining it. The unit has been repaired twice (under warranty) and now it's leaking again for a 3rd time. The dealer will fix it for $ but I think Johnson (Bombardier) and Suzuki should look at this for me and make good. This engine only has 180 hours on it. Has any one had a simalar problem?

Last edited:

canuckmxer

Recruit
I am having what would seem to be the same problem with trim tilt on my 2003 Johnson 115 hp 4 stroke (rebadged Suzuki). Not sure what the dollar cost to fix the leak is, but symptoms are noisy grinding sound, slow to go up, and had the milky stuff coming out when I lowered and put in fresh oil. Oil slick on the lake when it was in the water last year after topping it up. Question is, can the seals be replaced or will the dealer/marina want to replace the whole unit. Motor is working, and switch is as well. Just the grinding noise, and slow to go up and down. Likely going to be worse as it has been sitting all winter in storage. Any help for this noobie would be greatly appreciated!