1957 35 hp Evinrude Starter Problem

matt burns

Cadet
I am having problems with my starter on my motor. It is acting like the battery isnt charged enough to crank it all the way over so the start spin up then stops and turns it over and stops then about 3 seconds later turns it again then stops because it doesnt have enough power to keep it turning long enough to start it. I assumed it was the battery so I charged it all the way and hooked it up to jumper cables and it does the same thing. I also tried my truck battery and still does the same thing. Is my starter going bad? If anyone can help or if me need anymore information please let me know. I am in desperate need of getting this working.

billsfw

Cadet
Re: 1957 35 hp Evinrude Starter Problem

Try using the jumper cables directly to the starter. If that wiorks, then it may be the solenoid in the control box. Also it may be corosion in the cables to the motor. That will definately rob power to the starter.
Good luck

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

When testing be sure to jump both cables directly from the battery to the starter. Connect the positive first.

matt burns

Cadet

I have checked the soleniod and it does the same problem.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

I had the same problem on my 90 HP Force. Took the starter apart and checked the brushes and bushings. Everything OK except the bushings were dry. Greased them up and it still spins over real good. As already said, make sure everything between the batt and starter is good before taking the starter apart.
HTH,
Mike

lindy46

Captain

If you have clean, shiny connections and a fully charged battery, then chances are the problem is in the starter itself.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Ditto...if it turns over easily by hand you may have a starter problem if you have clean connections and charged battery. Try pulling the plugs and see if the starter spins it over well and strong. If not, check local sources to have your starter rebuilt (prices vary a lot) or start watching the auction site and the free webvertize ads at www.aomci.org for a replacement. The Johnson starters of the period, used on 35 and some 40 hp Big Twins, are longer and stronger in my opinion and they will bolt up to your Evinrude.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

1957! How long since that starter has been apart? Some thing's just don't last.

matt burns

Cadet

I usually just pull start it and it I electric start it I have to pull the cord a little bit while it is trying to crank over and that usually gets it going but my recoil is stripped or something because when I pull the cord the is no resistance and I can hear it skipping over the teeth. I have a new starter recoil being shipped to me but wont be hear for a few day and would really like to get it going somehow. The motor runs great I just dont have any way of starting it right now and would really like to be able to get out hunting in the morning. How hard is it to take the starter apart and what do you look for that is wrong with it?

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

If you've never taken a starter apart, I suggest taking it to a starter/gen/ alt repair shop or maybe a friend REALLY knows how to do it. I'm reluctant to tell you how on the net and have things get all fouled up and cost you a new starter if nothing's wrong w/ yours other than needing lube in the bushings.
HTH,
Mike