Boat runs like a top..Thanks to all!

hogginhank

Seaman
Well I ran my boat yesterday for the first time after I did all the timing checks and adjusted all the link and sink stuff and it ran like a cat with an arrow in its butt. :D

The timing was actually advanced so I set it at the 4 less (13) for WOT per the "Reeves" thread.

Spark plugs were gapped at 45 istead of 30(found the 45 gap on line?? I guess it was bad informatiom??

Hooked up a portable tac and ran it and found my TAC to be moving around and when it was reading 4000 rpm's it was actually 5200(someone said it might be my tac??

I tightened the connections on my tac and bam..problem solved

15 pitch prop ran at 5600 and 31 mph.

19 pitch ran at 5200 and did 39.1 on gps.. :)

My bottom side of my anti-cavitation plate was actually about 2.5 inches below the bottom plane of the hull.

I moved it to where the bottom side of the plate is about 1/2" above the plane of the hull. I think this was one of the bigger issues because of the drag.

It idles at about 875 rpm's in nuetral while sitting in the water and in gear at about 725 (+ / - )

No pauses in acceleration and no sputtering at WOT or while advancing the throttle..SWEET!!

Thanks to all that spent their time spitting out advice and things to check.

The 19 prop picks the boat up and out of the water really well because it is a light center console 16' Jon boat.

I do think that a 17 pitch would be the perfect pitch so that would be my next prop.

Until next time I guess I will be watching this forum and learning more about outboards..Adios' for now..Hank

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Boat runs like a top..Thanks to all!

Great place huh :)
I'd still be dumber than a bag of rocks about boats & OB's if it wern't for the guys (many of them anyway) that help out here :D

hogginhank

Seaman

I thought I posted up a thread about tachometers but I guess I didn't??

What website has good prices on marine tacs for outboards? Thanks in advance..Hank

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Glad all is well for you. There are some great folk out here eh ?????