4hp evinrude...putting lower leg back on?

adie1

Recruit
sorry guys i know you get lots of imellor questions, i have looked at lots of old posts but cant quite find what i need.
i have a little 4hp, not sure what year maybe mid 80's??? i needed to change the impellor and quessed i needed to take the lower leg off...so undone the 2 little bolts and the lower leg slid off with the shaft attached, i took care of the impellor but then it came to putting the leg back on. there seem to be 3 things to locate 1 the shaft back in place, 2 hollow pipe quess goes into the impellor housing? and 3 the gear shift....i just cant do it, there is only just room to get my fingers in, on the one occasion i got the gear and pipe in i could not get the shaft in, it just wont close up then when i wiggle it about the other bits fall out!!!! what am i doing wrong? this cant be the right way of doing it. what makes it worse is i sold this engine today and the guy is coming to collect it tommrrow, ahhhhhh please help.

regards adie

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 4hp evinrude...putting lower leg back on?

try turning the flywheel to help seat the drive shaft.

Marvxyz2

Seaman Apprentice

I'm not sure .but don't you have to pu shifter in reverse to access the shift rod connector.

kbait

Commander

An extra hand + flashlight.. aim things in right direction and keep trying.. it'll come together. turn shaft slightly w/each try. Reverse on the gearshift, and shiftshaft pulled 'up' can help..

adie1

Recruit

thanks guys, dont think it has reverse. i did try turning the prop to turn the shaft and did try pulling the pull cord to turn the fly wheel but no luck yet i will keep trying but its so anoying! just wanted to make sure i was attacking it the right way, was hoping someone would say im doing it wrong and there is an easyer way of doing it.
will go have another bash at it!

cheers.

adie1

Recruit

yes got it back on!!! 2 hours last night and no luck 10mins this morning and it dropped in was very happy but that was short lived, when i took it outside i rested it up against the workshop wind caught it and blow it over cracking the lower cowling and breaking the choke/petrol knob linkage...can i get these sort of parts still?

kbait

Commander

OUCH! Short-lived indeed..

Call Tim's outboard 218-682-2331 w/model number. Tell 'em kirby sent ya.