Tacho question

Chops_78

Recruit
Hey,

I have a question with my tacho its a medallion cajun series fitted to a 1980 evinrude 70hp i see there is a dial on the rear 1 through to 5 and a refrence sticker on the top that reads 1 = 4p 2 = 6p 3 = 10p 4 = 12p 5 = 16p my question is after lookng through forums is this refrence for pulse or for Poles i have tried it at both 6 and 12 and there is 1000 rpm difference between the two so i am not sure which one i am supposed to be on??? any help with this would be great!!! Thanks

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tacho question

You set the dial to 1/2 the number of alternator poles. I believe you motor has 3 cylinders. If so, it has 12 poles so you set it to 6P. This info is for a Teleflex tach but I think it would apply to yours as well. Give it a whirl. At WOT the tach should be reading around 5500 rpms if you have the right prop.

Chops_78

Recruit

Thanks for the reply! I have got my hands on a 2 stroke rpm testing probe which i will try it out on today and see which setting it is thanks for the info!

Chops_78

Recruit

I found out today that the setting was 12p i think it reads the number os poles not pulses on my tacho for the setting and happy with it got the 5500rpm i was looking for