Looking for help on installing remote controls

Maveric7383

Cadet
I just picked up a 16ft Starcraft flat bottom boat w/ 1980 35hp evinrude model # E35RCSM for$150 off craigslist. My goal is to build a nice little side console bass boat for the lake. I would like to install a side console w/ remote steering, throttle / shifter. Where do I start? from what i have read Im going to need special brackets and mounts for the engine. This is my first boat so Im not too familiar with all the boat stuff. Does anyone know of a good site to purchase controls and parts that I will need? Any help is appreciated.

SDC10150.jpg

SDC10147.jpg

ITS A RENTAL, THE LAWN WAS DEAD BEFORE WE MOVED IN. :D

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Looking for help on installing controls

Re: Looking for help on installing controls

$150 for the boat and motor? What a deal. Does it run?

I'm not sure about the console but the controls are easy. Standard OMC controls fit on that engine from the looks of it, thus you just need the controls and the cables and mount the controls on the console you make.

Is it already electric start? You will have to get/install the wiring harness also with the key start and electric choke if so.

Maveric7383

Cadet
Re: Looking for help on installing remote controls

Yeah I got it to fire off with a quick squirt a brake cleaner. Im going to run it in a trash can tomorrow and see how it does. Im going to build the console with some ply wood and fiberglass. Given that this engine tests out decent tomorrow and the controls and installed without any major issues the next thing will be electric start & choke. Ill post more detailed engine pics tomorrow. Also looking for used parts for the engine, if you look about half way down the shaft you see where the shaft rides in a channel looking thing, its broke.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would make sure the motor is viable, before investing in controls.

Installing control cables.

1. set controls in neutral and at idle.

2. manually make sure motor is in neutral and at idle.

3. on the motor end of the cable, is a trunion nut (adjustment nut) there is a retainer, on
the motor for the trunion nut remove the clip.

4. without moving anything on the motor, adjust the trunion nut (turning nut) so that
The nut sits in the retainer, and will connect to the motor.

5. connect the cable to the motor, reinstall the retainer clip.

Note: you adjust the cable to the motor, not the motor to the cable.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Nice deal! And someone really did a spectacular job killing that lawn :) I've had a good experience with Twin City Outboards http://www.twincityoutboard.com/ for used parts. iboats is great for new parts. Definitely consider replacing the water pump impeller before taking her out.

jasper60103

Commander

Yeah I got it to fire off with a quick squirt a brake cleaner. Im going to run it in a trash can tomorrow and see how it does. Im going to build the console with some ply wood and fiberglass. Given that this engine tests out decent tomorrow and the controls and installed without any major issues the next thing will be electric start & choke. Ill post more detailed engine pics tomorrow. Also looking for used parts for the engine, if you look about half way down the shaft you see where the shaft rides in a channel looking thing, its broke.

Yep, you have a broken lower mount housing (port side). You should be able to find one at a scrap yard.

Maveric7383

Cadet

Thanks for the link im going to check them out. As for installing the controls, I don't think i will have a problem. I'm more worried about getting the correct parts. I'll take some pics later today. Well the engine ran great, Had a solid steam of water coming out the back corner. From what i can see in the daylight, attaching the controls looks fairly easy at the engine. The shifter and throttle are self explanatory and attach on the exterior of the housing.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Tashasdaddy did a small boat with remote controls and stick steering, and posted pix, too. Looked like a sweet set up.

Maveric7383

Cadet

Oh, thats what st stick steering is. lol. I thought it was a big extension off the outboard. Well I called one of those guys that picks up old boats for free, he said hes going to look and see what he has to get me setup with steering and a control box. If my boat was smaller I would go with the stick steer but I have the extra room so Im adamant about installing a side console.Im kinda stuck, my plan is to build a console close enough to the rear deck so i can use the rear deck as a seat when operating the boat. Or do i move the console forward 2-2.5 ft then install a seat behind the console? I was going to keep it simple and just use the rear deck for a seat, I can always get a cushion to sit on. What do you guys think.

jasper60103

Commander

I think you're better off with the console forward some because your weight will be more centered in the boat. This helps with balancing the load.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think you're better off with the console forward some because your weight will be more centered in the boat. This helps with balancing the load.

I agree completely. Your weight all the way to the back plus that 35HP outboard will make you way too stern heavy. Move it on up! That's one of the primary reasons why people install consoles anyway, it's not just cuz they want a steering wheel versus a tiller.