Old outboard Service in Toronto ??

seawolf

Cadet
:rolleyes:Not sure if this is off topic, or if generally against forum rules, but I am looking for shops and or marinas that service 50's and 60 Johnson, and Evinrude motors in the Greater Toronto Area.

I know this forum is full of great information regarding outboard service, but I was just wondering if anyone knew offhand. I have some experience servicing outboards, but surely some would rather leave these jobs to proffessionals in order to have a proffessional finish.

Thanks in advance

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: Old outboard Service in Toronto ??

I'm in Ottawa and our local OMC dealer states they will not work on anything older than a 1976. They're the biggest/best in town as far as I know (Laurentian) (there's not many OMC dealers up here though). There's not a lot of demand for it anymore and most new techs aren't trained in the old engines. There's not a lot of $$$ in it as most of the time the labour and parts will cost more than the engine.

What are you looking to have done to what engine?

PW2

Commander

Most shops charge $75 to $100 or more per hour for service, and you don't need to spend too much time before you've exceeded the value of the motor.

Collecting a $500 bill for a $200 engine can be a problem that most shops don't want to take on.

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

One in the GTA that I have visited is Durham Marine Services - All Engines OMC Volvo & Yanmar Dealer. Contact (905) 420-6559
Fax (905) 420-4129 Address : 1080 Brock Rd Pickering, ON , L1W3H3.

They are easy to get to, just take the 401 to the Brock Road exit in Pickering (5 or so minutes from Toronto's eastern border). Turn right (south) towards Lake Ontario and drive to the first driveway on the right (not far; at the bottom of the ramp form the 401 overpass). It is a strip mall. You will need to drive towards the north end and then go west as soon as you reach the end of the very first building. Drive all the way to the back and you will see them.

When I was there getting parts for my 1958 Johnson 7? I saw them working on a 1971 Johnson 9?, plus there were some 1950/60s motors there.

It is true what the other posters were saying about money. I have far more into my 1950 5-horse than I could ever see out of it, but I didn't do it for the money. I wanted a fully functional and new-looking Johnson 5 (dad bought it around 1952 and plain wore it out).

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer

Here's a satellite view from Google Maps that I modified. I drew a red line to show the path to take from the 401 / Brock Road exit to the back of the plaza.

Attachments

• DMS.jpg
    DMS.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 0