1976 70 Hp Johnson P t & trim Seal kits ?

tamxox

Recruit
Hi all i have a 1976 70HP Johnson 70EL76D model The Left side cylinder looks like its been leaking the chrome is faded away i need to know if anybody has suggestions on if there are full repair seal kits and where to obtain them from i aperantly have the rarer power tilt and trim on the boat im a new to the site so thx go in advance pics at the link below of the Ptt
http://s916.photobucket.com/albums/ad5/tamxox/johnson/

:eek:

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral
Re: 1976 70 Hp Johnson P t & trim Seal kits ?

There is a special tool, or spanner wrench to remove the end cap on the cylinder. That tool is not very strong at best. If the engine is used in salt water, you may just want to replace the cylinder. I don't know if a seal kit is still available. That job will require a manual.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

It looks pretty; did you repaint it?
I found it hard to repair a 1988 PTT when it started leaking (salt water boat) the pros were afraid that once they opened it, it would never seal up well, or tha the srews wouldn't handle being unscrewed. They are a soft spot on the motor.

tamxox

Recruit

hi all thx for the response yeah i figured id try to make the tool to reopen it no i havent painted it i found the images on the net somewhere it was just to show what type of ptt i had yeah ill be looking round for another ptt cylindersi bought the manual but it doesnt show me everything on the cylinders so ill have to wait till i got some cash up to play round with this thx again all and safe happy boating :)