Johnson 88 spl throttle issues please help

Bozzy

Recruit
I have a 1993 johnson 88spl on a 16' aluminum runabout. I put on a new throttle cable a couple of months ago and haven't been able to set it properly. I've only had the boat for for about 8months so I'm not sure if it's always been like this or if it's a new problem. When I adjust the new cable with the thumb wheel so the throttle cam returns to the idle stop I can't get anywhere near the WOT stop when I push the throttle lever up front to full throttle. When I adjust the cable to get more throttle it won't return to the idle stop. It's like there's not enough stroke in the cable. I've sent hours trying to figure this out. I've even taken apart the control box to make sure there were no worn out bushings or broken pieces. Does anyone have any ideas?

McGvr

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Johnson 88 spl throttle issues please help

I'm Not sure how the 88hp is set up, but if it is anything like my 30, you might want to check the linkage.
My 30hp has a sliding adjustment that was out of wack. It was not hard to adjust, but did make a big difference.
Just a thought.
McG

Bozzy

Recruit

I thought maybe it was the linkage too so I bought a repair manual last night an went over it. Everything seems to be correct and lined up right. I've been searching other posts and a few other people have had the same problem but no one seems to have posted the solution.

Bozzy

Recruit

I'm was out again yesterday and still can't get this set right. When I adjust the throttle cable to return to idle I can only get up to around 4400 rpm at WOT and the throttle cam is still about 3/8" away from the WOT stop. Any ideas are appreciated.