Stalling Engine......

mrcj001

Petty Officer 1st Class
I see hundreds of threads of engine stalling problems and most never get resolved. So......

My 1975 Johnson 135 started to stall on me last time out. Starts up and idles fine but when you move the throttle it just dies. It dont bogg, its like you turned off the ignition switch. This will happen 4-6 times and then it will shift and take off like nothing is wrong.

After reading the OMC manual closely, in the troubleshooting section on ignition, one of the things to check if the engine stalls is the IGNITION SWITCH and the NUTRAL SAFETY SWITCH for arcing or shorting.

My switch is 34 years old and I notice when ordering a replacement it says to see and read a " service bulletin" for the key ordering. Anyone know what the bulletin is about.

Also, is there a way to check the switch? The engine has new coils , clean carbs , ect.

When idling, no matter how fast or SLOW I shift.....sometimes it will stall and sometimes it wont.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Stalling Engine......

Disconnect the control harness to bypass it.
Remove air cleaner ( or airbox).
Start engine by jumping the starter.
Stop the engine by choking it with your hands over the carbs.

I think the problem is you have a cylinder not firing on occasion.
Try a spark tester or timing light to check for soark on all holes when it acts up.