How to change impeller on my Johnson outboard

coyotehead

Cadet
Im not sure what year it is but Im sure its a late 70's early 80's Johnson outboard....I need to replace the impeller and I need some help...Do I pu it in revearse,forward or what before I take lower off...I have been told all kinds of things....PLEASE HELP!!!!

sutherj

Cadet
Re: How to change impeller on my Johnson outboard

These motors aren't that difficult. I suspect you are a little skepticle but you just have to start turning nuts and bolts. If it's in the wrong gear you can change that when the lower unit fails to seperate from the rest of the motor. Go for it dude, you wont mess anything up unless you start forcing things apart.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Try using the search function to see what everyone has to say about it. Best bet though is a manual to refer to. If you have a digital camera take a lot of photos at each stage of tear down for reference if necessary on the re-assembly. Post anything interesting out here and delete when finished.
Good Luck.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

A manual would be a real plus. There are some tricks. The main problem that could occur would be the lower unit bolts snapping off. This will almost be a guarantee if the motor was run in salt water. I would recommend soaking the boats in a penetrating oil before attempting to remove them. Also alternate loosening and tightening the bolts may prevent a snap off.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

A manual would be a real plus. There are some tricks. The main problem that could occur would be the lower unit bolts snapping off. This will almost be a guarantee if the motor was run in salt water. I would recommend soaking the boats in a penetrating oil before attempting to remove them. Also alternate loosening and tightening the bolts may prevent a snap off.

Don't go teling the guy false information man. "This will almost be a guarantee if the motor was run in saltwater", that's not true.

I have been working on only saltwater engines my entire life, I've never even seen an engine that has been run in anything besides saltwater and I have never had a lower unit bolt break.

I did a pump 2 years ago on a 2000 150hp Johnny, original water pump. The guy had no idea what he was doing and just never changed his pump in 7 years, motor used in saltwater only for 7 years and not maintained too well. Honestly I'm not sure how the impeller didn't break apart or how it still pumped enough water, but anyway that L/U came down no problem at all, after 7 years. No problem with bolts one bit.

In most cases the L/U has been down within the last 3-4 years for a pump, unless the person has no idea and runs it for 7, and in that case, still no problem.

It's not hard to do coyotehead, as mentioned get a manual and it will help you out a lot.