vernatherms close all the way when cold?

tal

Petty Officer 1st Class
1985 120. Trying to test vernatherms. Don't have a thermometer right now but I never had a overheat problem. More of a rough smokey idle so I was thinking it might be running a little cold. Here's what I got. I took the port side vernatherm out and I couldn't blow air through it at all. I put it in some hot tap water and it did not open. I microwaved some water then dropped it in the glass and it opened. I'm not sure of the temp. I then let it cool off but I could still blow a little air through it.

Starboard side vernatherm came out and I was able to blow air through it without heating or anything. It seemed like it took more heat to open this stat up ALL the way and the same thing happened when I cooled it down. Sitting in ice water would not make it shut all the way. Should they shut down completely? I found a post where someone said you have to manually shut them cause they don't close all the way on their own, however, one of mine was shut down completely and the other not.

Again, engine isn't overheating but I'm trying to track down another issue.

Thanks

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: vernatherms close all the way when cold?

If in doubt, change them out. Easy job on that motor. You just found out that one of them has an issue. Check opening temperature with hot water and a meat thermometer. Should be around 140 F