help 1967 evinrude 9.5 seized shaft.

14mirrocraft

Recruit
I have a 1967 sportwin 9.5. The drive shaft got seized in the gearcase and the motor does not run. i got the lower end gear case, shaft, propeller,gears, water pump out.. but some how i can get the drive shaft to budge out of the gear case. there is this oil ring around the shaft with a plate holding it down in the gear case but i cant seem to get to slide off the shaft completely. it will only move about 1/2 inch ( already took off the pin in the shaft ) .. do i hit it out? and why is my shaft stuck in the gear case and not rotating? this is my first outboard motor so dont know anything. any help or suggestion is greatly appreciated. and one more thing i think my motor is ok.. because once i drop the lower end.. the motor was able to turn freely so i started it for like a quick 10sec.. then turned it off asap.

Rick.

Captain
Re: help 1967 evinrude 9.5 seized shaft.

Well... it's good that your motor started for you. There have been others who have had difficulty getting the drive shaft loose from the power head. Normally, when it is seized it is due to rust. Tip her upside down and soak it with lots of good penetrating oil. Leave it to soak and then repeat again and again. After a week or so you can start getting creative about how to grip the shaft and using an equal downward force getting it to budge. You need to be very careful not to pry it from one direction as that sort of kinks the joint making the friction worse. Try doing a search here for stuck drive shaft and you might come across some good methods.
Use this link to find your parts break down (look at 68 year). I really can't follow what you are saying but perhaps if you use the part descriptions I can get it more clear in my head. Be patient, don't use excessive force at the start. There are places on the drive shaft that you absolutely cannot damage and there are other places that don't matter if you nick it. I'm sure you know where but worth mentioning. Best of luck. Rick.
http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=8efa24ffdcb7b4379ebc4d9844227a77