How to Remove My Tilt Unit - Quick Question

Fish929

Seaman
Guys, I'm trying to remove the tilt unit from my 2000 Johnson 50. Could someone take a look at the last pic at the link below and tell me if I am correct in that I just need to remove the two nuts on the bottom pin, apply some Liquid Wrench, let it soak in and then hit the bolt with a hammer until I can get it loose? And on the top pin, how do I get it out? On the starboard side the end of the pin is tucked back up in there. I have drawn red arrows pointing to the bolts/pins in question.

http://picasaweb.google.com/willfisher929/JohnsonTilt#

Thanks

Fish929

Seaman
Re: How to Remove My Tilt Unit - Quick Question

No one knows anything about this?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you are correct, buy may have to take the motor off the boat to get the unit out.

Fish929

Seaman

Tashasdaddy, on the top pin, hit it from the starboard side, correct?

I really appreciate your help and thank you for responding.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i would think so, but pixs don't show enough.

Fish929

Seaman

After I got home from work tonight I messed around with it and got the lower pin out easier than I thought I would. Just kept spraying it with penetrant then whacking it with a hammer and once it was moving just used a 10" long 3/4" bolt as a punch and out it came.

The fill plug has been missing for some time (was
like that when I bought the engine this summer) and some water came out of the reservoir where the oil should be. Going to disassemble it all (not the piston) and see what it looks like. Don't have a lighted garage so gotta wait til Saturday to do it in the daylight.

Thanks again for the tips.