PTT tube leaks

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
1987 Johnson 70 with power tilt and trim; it has a coiled 1/8th" (est) tube on the bottom to connect the two hydraulic parts. It suddenly developed several pinholes, causing the ATF fluid to leak out and water to replace it--so it seems. I just got this used motor and I can't be sure the tube is stainless or aluminum.
Anyone see this before? I just replaced a 1988 70 with no trouble with that tube for 21 years other than some leaking at the fitting which I fixed.
The day it sprunk the leaks was after I left the key on overnight and I am suspected electrolysis found some weak spots.
Now I have to scrounge up a used tube; new are about $60--unless this is a typical age problem?

thanks for the combined wisdom!

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: PTT tube leaks

if you have any old boat yards in your area ,i would bet they have a few old engines with the part on it,there are salvage yards in the country,and here in key largo,you would do best to ride around and find an old yard,try and scope an old eng out and ask if you can pick the part,by the time a mechanic goes thru the work and ships,i dont know how much you will save,the part is stainless steel,and i nevr saw one get holes as you mention,there are other engines that have that part like the v-4/6

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: PTT tube leaks

actually I sold my locked-up 70 to a salvage yard and will start there--buying back my own stuff!