Johnson 60hp pushing a 19'

I have an excellent running 1989 johnson 60hp titlt/trim (non vro). I have the opportunity to buy a 1990 bayliner bowrider for real cheap. Do you think this motor would be fit enough for this boat. Are there any hp mods you can safely perform to this motor for more go power? head gasket or reeds? Stock these boats came with a force 90hp anchor. I dont want to blow up a nice motor! but I also would like to take the fam out on the lake next summer & finally get some use out of this motor, been sitting in my garage.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Re: Johnson 60hp pushing a 19'

90hp was probably the minimum recommended rating for that boat. I think you're going to be way underpowered with a 60hp. I run a 60 on my 16' fishing boat with a side console. It's rated for up to a 90.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That would be too much boat for that motor. A 16' fiberglass or an 18' aluminum would be about the max that motor would effectively push.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I run a 90 on my 16 1/2 and get 39MPH, I couldn't imagine a 60 on it, dog slow. I ran a 50 on my 16ft aluminum and it was adequate. Most for sale doing a search come with a 125 or 3.0L I/O.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Whether it is enough motor or not depends on what you expect from the boat. If you want something that will do 30+ mph, no, its not going to work for you. If you want to put a 12" pitch prop on it and go about 20 mph max with a light load, it will probably work just fine.

You might do better with a Yamaha 90 two stroke, if you can find a used motor. They are inline 3 cylinder motors and are very good on fuel. I'm an OMC guy, but I would buy one in a heartbeat, if the right deal popped up.

If you want to be able to take a few people fishing with you, and still run in the upper 30s, your going to need more motor. I would say something around 135hp would be good, because you could probably be able to stay with a V4, instead of a V6

???

Thanks for the reply's fellas. I kind of expected everyone to say heck no! but I thought why not ask. So jay if I was to try this, the 12" prop would be the prop to go with to where its not lugging to much. I am not expecting to do 35mph like a 90hp would push it to, 20-25mph would be enough white knuckle & watery eyes for me!! LOL! Also would a whale tale do any good to plane it quicker?:D

bktheking

Vice Admiral

You'll get bored, it's like buying a 250 motorcycle, seems like a good idea at the time!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

rule of thumb. 70% of max rated hp, is minimum hp for the boat to perform reasonably. what is the Bayliner rated for. also check for rot, and saturated foam. these boats are noted for both.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Thanks for the reply's fellas. I kind of expected everyone to say heck no! but I thought why not ask. So jay if I was to try this, the 12" prop would be the prop to go with to where its not lugging to much. I am not expecting to do 35mph like a 90hp would push it to, 20-25mph would be enough white knuckle & watery eyes for me!! LOL! Also would a whale tale do any good to plane it quicker?:D

You wont be happy. 20 - 25mph is by no means "white knucle/watery eyes". Heck, I can ride my mountain bike that fast. At that speed with that boat, you'll get on plane and that's about it...

You wont be happy. 20 - 25mph is by no means "white knucle/watery eyes". Heck, I can ride my mountain bike that fast. At that speed with that boat, you'll get on plane and that's about it...

Yes True, but I figure at least I would be out on the water with a reliable motor having a good time at a small cost. Does anyone know how to get an extra 10hp out of this motor? Reliably? I am thinking about what Jay said about the 12" prop & maybe a higher compression head if it wouldnt hurt it. I just dont have the $$bucks to go out and get a bigger outboard.

:cool:Thanks all for your replys!

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I have an excellent running 1989 johnson 60hp titlt/trim (non vro). I have the opportunity to buy a 1990 bayliner bowrider for real cheap. Do you think this motor would be fit enough for this boat. Are there any hp mods you can safely perform to this motor for more go power? head gasket or reeds? Stock these boats came with a force 90hp anchor. I dont want to blow up a nice motor! but I also would like to take the fam out on the lake next summer & finally get some use out of this motor, been sitting in my garage.

I really think you won't get what you want out of this setup. If you want to take your family out with you, as you mentioned, then the boat will probably not even plane with that much weight.

I had a 17ft runabout with a 50HP merc/mariner and it worked OK with just me in the boat. With myself and two others plus fuel and gear...it would not plane.

Another item to note is that even if you buy a low pitch prop you will need to run the engine at WOT all the time to get anywhere. This will burn more gas than you need to and cost more in the long run.

Why not look for a smaller, lighter boat that you can use with your motor? Something like a 15ft runabout would go great with that motor.

Or you could sell your 60hp motor and look around for a used 90hp.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Careful with the Bayliner for rot and if you have the motor already then why not give it a go.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

We are missing the point this guy wants to boat a little and isn't likely to get out there with a different motor.So I would suggest you set it up over the winter antivent (cavitation)plate even with the bottom.Start with the prop you have and get us the rpm and speed with a light load in the spring.
Be sure the bayliner is sound check the floors if they are spongy suspect rotten stringers Which are a major repair and can cause a misshapen bottom.
Be sure the transom is not rotted.

Thanks steelspike, I will make sure to check these things when I go look at the boat this weekend. Guy said the floors were solid, but I'll really go over over it carefully. I've just seen pics of the boat on craigy. $500 would be a bargain. kids would love the bowride!

Has anyone ever installed a thinner head gasket or milled the head down a little for higher compression? Any big hp increase? or worse, headgasket blowouts?

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

My personal opinion, is that trying to tweak an outboard motor to get a few more horsepower out of it, is a waste of time and an even bigger waste of money. First, getting the extra hp is rarely only a matter of re-jetting the carbs. There is usually more involved, such as changing the exhaust chamber, so that the cylinders will scavenge more efficiently. Even if you do get a little more power, you will either barely notice it, or you will not notice it at all.

As for whether or not you will be happy, no one else should judge that for you, unless you have a clearly stated and well thought out desire for the boat to do "X." If that were the case and that "X" happened to be that you want to be able to run at 35 mph with 4 people and fishing gear aboard, like I said previously, a 60 hp motor isn't going to provide that on a 19 foot fiberglass boat.

I have a 17.5 foot fiberglass trihull. The boat is rated for 130 hp, but I run a 1972 Johnson 65hp motor on it. That is half the rated hp, so by TD's rule of thumb, I should be unhappy. While I certainly don't want to give the impression that I am questioning his wisdom and that wisdom would, in fact, be appropriate for many people, its not the right one for me. I run a 15" pitch prop on the boat, have a top end of 29 mph (by GPS) and routinely cruise at about 22 mph, after backing off the power a bit. My typical load consists of me, two large batteries, 24 gallons of gas, several cameras, survival gear including food & water, and the usual assortment of PFDs, boothook, paddle, etc.

I am perfectly happy with my boat and I am perfectly happy with a cruise speed in the low 20 mph range. Whether that would make you happy or not, I can't say - you have to answer that for yourself.

I mentioned a 12" prop on your boat, because that's what I think you would need to be able to get the motor up to an acceptable WOT rpm. Your engine probably calls for a WOT range of 4,500 to 5,500 rpm and I doubt anything over 12" in pitch would do that, on a 19 foot fiberglass boat. For comparison purposes, my max rpm at WOT is 5,100. Remembering that my boat is probably several hundred pounds lighter and I have 5 more hp, you can see that you would have to drop below my 15" pitch value by quite a bit.

So, once again, first figure out what you want the boat to do and then do the homework to see what kind of power you will need, to get that level of performance. Whatever you do, however, don't pick a motor just because its a bargain. If it won't do what you want it to do, that bargain will be no bargain at all, in the long run.

???

bktheking

Vice Admiral

If you are dead set on buying it inspect it with a comb, $500 seems like a price asking for repair, not putting it down for the boat or the price as I haven't seen it but when guys want that much money for a supposedly good boat it's usually suited to the condition, boat decks and stringers are a nightmare to replace, I just spent all summer doing mine and I will never do another!

yeah maybe I should pass this bayliner up & look for another (smaller) boat. there easy come easy go in the winter anyway. maybe I need to tone it down to a 16' max with a 60hp motor. It just really looked like a nice boat for the money. thanks all!

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

A 16" boat with a 60hp motor would be a good match for most uses. That would allow you to go higher on the prop pitch, possibly to 17", which would give you some speed, as well as a decent "economy cruise."

BTW, I think you have made a wise decision by holding off. To me, the trick to getting as great boat deal, is to put the cash aside and watch for a boat that is within your budget and fits your boating profile. When you do things that way, you tend to get just the right boat for you and you tend not to have buyers remorse. Part of not having any remorse is staying within the bufget that you carefully planned.

???