water leak ok ?

FISHFINK

Seaman Apprentice
i tried posting this in the honda section, but didnt get many views or any respose.
since its not honda specific and this section gets more views, i will try my question here. thanks.

guys,
i have a 1990 honda 15hp 4 stroke. long shaft.
had a mechanic install a new water impellor a few weeks ago.
i started it up today with the rabbit ears on it, and it is pumping fine out the pee hole.
i noticed some water leakage where the lower unit mates up to the mid section, where he pulled it apart to install the new impellor.
when in gear and revved up a bit, the leak gets a little worse, actually spraying out of the seam where the lower unit mates to the mid section.

i called the mechanic and he said it would not be a problem since the only thing in that center section is water. said it was probably exhaust pushing the water out around that mating surface, and will be fine when it is submerged in the water when boating.

what are your opinions on this small water leak ? will it cause a problem now or somewhere down the road, (canal) ?

should it have been sealed with some sort or permatex or gasket ?

thanks much.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: water leak ok ?

Its not a water tight joint. its as your mechanic has said.

its leaking more now than previously probably because the joint faces are a bit corroded and no longer make a good joint.

A bit surprising that the water sprays out when you rev up . I guess the housing is being pressurised by the exhaust but check that the exhaust outlet proper is not obstructed as I would not have expected there to be much pressure build up. It'll affect the running if there is.

No there is absolutely no requirement for the joint to be sealed with any gasket or sealant.

You do not give the full model details but the diagarm here shows a typical Honda 15hp As you will se there is no gasket.

http://www.boats.net/_search/images/parts_honda/2414ZV40ZV44F0300ZA.png

FISHFINK

Seaman Apprentice
Re: water leak ok ?

wow, thanks much for the very detailed explanation.
i now feel safe and wont worry.

thanks again....

leonard