oil leak in envinrude 175 hp

dueynetsell

Cadet
hi guys,
I am brand new to this website but have found it very helpful from just reading other peoples posts. However, i now have a question of my own.

I have a 1989 evinrude 175hp. I am a brand new owner, however i have a oil leak on the lower unit that drips onto the transom mount when i have it stored and tilted up. the oil is a blackish/green color. The motor also leaks when i raise the tilt when i am on the water. What could this be and what can i do about it without taking it in to a mechanic? I am a college student on a very small budget so i would like to be able to do stuff my self as much as possible.

Thanks,
DuRon

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: oil leak in envinrude 175 hp

Very probably just unburnt oil from the fuel. It is normal for a 2 stroke.

BUT read this item from the Engine FAQs Board http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=207285

If you suspect it could be gear oil check the gearcase oil for signs of water ingress. Milkiness = water

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

If it smells of gas then it is most likely unburnt 2 stroke oil and nothing to worry about.
If it smells of rotten eggs then it is most likely lower unit oil which is more serious and needs further investigation.

Welcome to iboats

dueynetsell

Cadet

thanks guys, i talked to a few guys at marina and they suspected the same thing. So far now i will just assume that is what it is.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

It would be wise though to check your gearcase oil. You dont want to lose all the oil or be running with a load of water in there because as a student you wont want to be paying for a complete gear case overhaul.

dueynetsell

Cadet

i realize this a pretty dumb question but i have never owned a boat before and all of this is extremely new to me. So how exactly do i check the gear case oil?

oldrudedude

Chief Petty Officer

i realize this a pretty dumb question but i have never owned a boat before and all of this is extremely new to me. So how exactly do i check the gear case oil?

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=2049494#post2049494

This link tells how to change the lower unit oil. To check the oil remove the lower screw only and let a few drops of the oil drip out into a clean container. Careful not to lose the oil plug seal. Any milkiness of the oil indicates water intrusion (bad). Could be the result of leaky oil plug seals or leaky propeller shaft seals. Shiny metal flakes in the oil is also bad (gear or bearing wear or damage).

Good idea to change the oil even if it doesn't look bad. Make sure the oil plug seals are good and tight so you don't get water intrusion.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Use the "Top Secret Files" for a lot of useful information.
I would suggest a manual for your motor as well. They are excellent reading.
OEM manual would be my 1st choice.