15 hp evenrude spark

pedixon

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all
My 1989 15 hp evenrude has been giving me fits lately.While checking spark with motor running I got shocked when I grabed bottom plug wire.Couldnt find a new wire locally but bought used one from boat repair guy , same thing, I get shocked. Thought it might be coil so I swithed coils top to bottom, same thing, I get shocked. Will get new plugs tommorow but the one I have looks fine. Any thoughts. Cant find any plug wires.

Phil

joey maneri

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 15 hp evenrude spark

make sure the plug boots fit snug on the plugs. it just might be a bad plug. you can use a standard test light to test for leaky plug wires. just ground the test light to the motor and move the tip of the test light along the wires and watch for an ark or an engine miss. this method is a little less painful!

bktheking

Vice Admiral

And you will get shocked grabbing a plug wire LOL, been there done that many times, it's when the brain doesn't tell body to stop before grabbing!

What fits is it giving you, shocking you sounds normal for grabbing a plug wire while a motor is running, try next time with something insulated, guess the question is why are you doing this???

pedixon

Seaman Apprentice

One cylinder went dead while fishing the other day. Took coils off and cleaned connections and all was ok, except for the shock part. Seems like once a year I have similar problem. These are original coils, maybe its time to buy some new ones, but I would think coils are either good or bad, not just sometimes? Also while starting motor last time the rope didnt recoil all the way, does that sound like the spring.

Phil

bktheking

Vice Admiral

No coils can fail when heated, when they are cold they work fine again. 20 yrs out of a set of coils is not unheard off, I guess it all depends if the motor has had a lot of use, power packs can do the same thing, be fine one minute, heat up and kill spark to one or both cylinders. The spring might be stretched. What I do is loosen the rope from the handle and hold onto it. Slowly let it pull the rope into the powerhead area but don't LET GO OF IT. Then I grab the part on the starter that recoils the rope and I wind it toward the tension by one revolution, then I will wrap the rope around one or two times around the recoil and pull it back through and put the handle back on. This resets the tension, hard to explain I guess. You should before doing all this inspect the base of the cup that holds the spring, sometimes the end of the spring starts to stretch out of the lock and bends the cup.

Next time you could try swapping the coils around to see if the spark follows, better than getting shocked.

pedixon

Seaman Apprentice

About half the rope is hanging out and wont recoil. I will proably need to take apart and look at it. Lots of knowledge on this site, I appreciate it.

Phil

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I posted a procedure around a month ago on how to re spring them, a new spring wouldn't hurt but it if it isn't broken it's just a matter of resetting the spring tension, they just get stretched is all.

Rick.

Captain

Some wd40 will probably get the rewind working for now. Long term fix is to pull it, clean it and re-lube it for sure. Try starting your motor in the dark. That is by far the best way to see if you have spark going to ground anywhere. Bad coils generally fail after warming up, not always, but normally. Best of luck. Rick.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I think he will suggest under the platic part that the rope coils around, that's where the spring sits, probably won't do anything, the spring stretches and doesn't recoil propery. It's like he and I said, pull it apart and clean and relube, when you pull it you will need to reset the recoil spring so it works properly. There is no quick fix for these starters.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I found my old post, hope it makes sense:

You simply remove the starter and remove old spring, put the end of the new spring in the outside lock, it's the slit in the outside of the lower housing. It may be bent from use, bend it back straight with plyers. Wind the spring counter clockwise from the outside in to the cup, it will get easier as you keep winding. Once the spring is fully seated into the housing (make sure the washer is still at the bottom of the housing) , take the plastic rope retainer and fit it in the spring, it usually just drops in. Turn the platic part that holds the rope counter clockwise around 2 or 3 times, it will load up the spring. Then wrap the rope around counter clockwise around the platic rope retainer leaving around half a foot of rope loose. Pull the rope through the hole in the motor housing where the pull handle it. Put the starter in place, there is a lock tang at the bottom of the starter that fits into a hole near the threaded hole for the starter bolt. Put the starter bolt in and tighten. Remember that the starter is sprung at this point and will try and fight to recoil, hand strength will prevent it. Look at the starter and make notes before you remove it on the position of things. This is all from memory of doing this last weekend, don't sue me if it's wrong (directions of rope turning and stuff like that). According to the diagram it's all counter clockwise.

Rick.

Captain

Yes. Spray into the spring area while pulling the rope in and out. Rick.

pedixon

Seaman Apprentice

Yes I can do that. While looking around under the hood I discovered that my cam roller is craked and broken, this explains some of my problems idling in nuetral. Is this easy to replace, it looks like I may have to take the flywheel off. Will any adustments need to be made after installing new one.

Phil

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Cam roller pops off by hand, no need to pull the flywheel, you may have to remove the airbox to gain access. You are referring to the little black wheel that comes off the plastic arm screwed into the carb? They are available and cheap to buy, p# 396236. No adjustment should be needed unless someone messed with the hex screw on the cam adjustment follower, It will just rev higher if it is out of adjustment, you may need to adjust it.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

NP, you just happened to ask about the motors I know the most about, ask me about a ficht and im lost.