Carb/Fuel Problem

southrider23

Recruit
It seems my 1986 115 Evinrude is starving for fuel, at least that is my opinion...Motor is an 86 but to much people surprise runs or use to run like a whip...It still starts just fine and idles great but i seemed to have lost all power when it comes to running...One day i was hooked up and running then it just slowed down as if the 115hp was a 25hp...Hauled the boat home, took out the plugs to check for any piston damage (as someone told me you would see metal shavings on the plugs if so)..they looked great...Checked for fire in each cylinder and fire was normal...i did notice that the water jacket gasket had a small water leak, so i changed out both gaskets...thinking that may have been the problem, went run it again and still no change...I had a friend in the boat with me as well...so he took his hand while the engine was running in gear and put it over the top carburator and it sped up as if there was nothing wrong, put it over the bottom carb and no change, put it back on top the top carb and it picked back speed like it was before the bogging down started...so he tells me maybe the top carb is clogged to buy a product called power tune...so bought that and we followed instructions and tried that, still get the same problem, no help...but we did notice there was a leak on each side of what my friend called the inspection plate...my question is this could that be causing this loss of power or could it be the carb starving for fuel? and why is it that when he puts his hand over the top carb that it picks up speed like it is operating normal even though there is a leak in the inspection plate gasket? Any advice or help would be appreciated, i am stumped...

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Re: Carb/Fuel Problem

I cannot find such a beast as an '86 115hp. Tell us the model number and we will correctly identify it for you.

Sounds like the top carb needs cleaning. Dismantling and cleaning through the jets and passages.
Don't know what you mean by inspection plate ... where is it? On top of the carb? if so called "cover". If the gasket is leaking then it should be replaced ... it could cause trouble if air is entering there

southrider23

Recruit

Took the carb down and it had trash in the jets...reinstalled and it ran like a beast...now i just went bought some parts from a guy...i got a new starter, the cover for the front of the carbs, and also picked up the carbs top and bottom off of a 140...i will put them on today...i posted it already in the forum, but how do i set the carbs???or can i?

HybridMX6

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I think we still need to find out exactly what your engine is. Vic.S says he doesn't see an '86 115hp, so still wondering about that.
I have no idea on the setting for larger carbs thing though.