1995 Evinrude 115 V4 60deg. Idle Problem

Kaskin

Recruit
I have a 1995 Evinrude 115 V4 60 degree looper. I seem to have an idle problem. The motor starts right up runs fine except when in idle. If I give it a little gas it will stay running fine if I bring it back to gear or idle it will start to hessitate and finally die. After it dies i can turn the key and it starts right back up but after 1 min or so the problem starts again. As long as I keep the engine accelerated a little it will run fine. Don't really know whats going on.

Compression is 120 across the board.
Power pack has been replaced.
Carburetors cleaned & re-built.
New spark plugs (champion).
New fuel Vro pump. ( I am running pre-mix 50:1). Vro disconnected.
I have a new voltage reg/rect on the way (tach not working bat. only getting 13.2 volts at WOT).
Replaced Primer valves.

Any help on how to get it to idle would be great.

Last edited:

scamoot

Cadet
Re: 1995 Evinrude 115 V4 60deg. Idle Problem

sounds like the floats might need adjustment on the carbs.

Kaskin

Recruit

Thanks for your input. Any possibility that the mechanic did not set the needle valve just right?

Kaskin

Recruit

I have no idea about the timing. I acquired this boat not to long ago. A mechanic did all the work for the seller before i bought it, but I'm just not sure about it.
Is there any way to check timing without a timing light?

Kaskin

Recruit

I'm getting ready to muck with the engine but don't really know where to start. If the mixture was off would it cause it to die or sputter when I gun the gas?? It does not do that so I assume the mixture is right. Could it be just the idle needle svalve?? Any help on this matter would be great.

Kaskin

Recruit

I looked at the pictures you linked. I have a seloc manual for the engine as well. The idle cam roller is in the correct position. It looks just like the picture. Any other thoughts???? This problem is driving me crazy!. :confused: